The Best Online Casinos in Austria – Top Austria Casino Sites
Gambling in Austria is legal, safe, and super-popular with residents. It’s no surprise that the country is home to some of the most famous gambling venues in central Europe. Read our below guide to find the best online casino Austria has to offer!
- The Best Online Casinos in Austria
- The Laws, Regulations, and History of Austrian Online Casinos
- Signing Up To the Best Online Casinos in Austria
- Safety and Security at Top Austria Online Casinos
- How To Choose the Best Austrian Online Casinos
- Land-Based Casinos in Austria
- Pros & Cons of Online Casino Austria
- Online Casino Austria 2024 – The Current Situation & What Lies Ahead
- Best Online Casinos in Austria FAQs
The Best Online Casinos in Austria
- Play from Austria
- Website available in German
- Huge jackpots
The Laws, Regulations, and History of Austrian Online Casinos
In Austria, there is a legal framework established for both land-based casinos and online gambling.
The country’s regulatory authority is the Ministry of Finance, which is in charge of issuing licences to qualifying operators, protecting players and upholding responsible gambling practices.
The Ministry of Finance mainly regulates land-based and online gambling activities, casinos and lotteries, in accordance with the Law on Games of Chance or GSpG (Glücksspielgesetz).
It is worth mentioning that, as stipulated by this federal law, the Ministry of Finance upholds a monopoly on most games of chance. Notable exceptions include:
- Some betting activities
- Games of chance with low wagers
- Skill-based games
History of Gambling & Online Casinos in Austria
Austria has always had a rather strict approach to gambling in order to protect vulnerable players and, of course, combat unlicensed or criminal activity. Here are the main events that have shaped the history of gambling in Austria:
Austria Online Casino: Laws & Regulations
If you’re looking for online casinos Austria, here’s what you need to know to make sure you stay safe and comply with local legislation:
- Gambling activities over the internet or other forms of electronic media also fall under the national gambling monopoly. In other words, although online gambling is legal, it’s mainly handled by Casinos Austria AG or the government, making it difficult for offshore operators to acquire local licences.
- The legal age for accessing gambling services is 18, whilst 16-year-olds are only allowed to purchase lottery tickets.
- Österreichische Lotterien GmbH is licensed to offer lotto, goal betting, toto, letter lottery, scratch cards and electronic lotteries in Austria.
- Casinos Austria AG is the primary supplier of land-based casinos and games within the country (table games, slots).
- Austrian law differentiates between two types of gambling: regular gambling and small-stakes gambling or kleines Glücksspiel, which is regulated individually by each federated state.
Signing Up To the Best Online Casinos in Austria
The main takeaway to remember is that only Austria-based companies are eligible to apply for local online gaming licences. This has put Austria under hot water with the EU officials, as their monopolistic practices contradict the EU’s online gambling directives.
However, that also comes with good news for players – according to the same EU laws, if a country doesn’t allow foreign or offshore operators the chance to acquire a local licence, that also means residents can’t be punished from accessing their services.
Most online casino Austrian sites accept the following types of documents for the identity, residence, and source of funds verifications: copies of your ID/passport, bank statement and utility bill.
Safety and Security at Top Austria Online Casinos
A pressing and legitimate concern you may have as an Austrian player is whether or not it’s safe to register on an offshore gambling hub.
Here are a few key aspects to look at to make sure you avoid unlicensed or scam platforms posing as the real thing:
- SSL encryption – Before sharing any personal information, you should make sure that your casino of choice encrypts this data and keeps it secure. Next to the website URL, you will see a lock graphic element, which signifies that the connection is secure. Alternatively, some websites use cryptographic protocols.
- Trust & RNG certifications – Several online casino sites in Austria also have seals of approval listed on their homepage from independent testing organisations for casino games, such as eCOGRA or iTech Labs. Essentially, that means the games are verified frequently to ensure total randomness and transparent RTP (Return-To-Player) rates. Others have entire sections dedicated to ‘fair play’ (one such example is Tsars Casino).
- Awards – It’s not uncommon for the ‘cream of the crop’ to receive industry awards. The best online casino Austria will most likely feature distinctions from SBC, Gambling Compliance Awards, or other independent organisations.
- Self-Exclusion & Responsible Gambling Features – One final and incredibly important hallmark of a good online casino in Austria is that it supports responsible gambling practices and often has an entire page dedicated to it. As a player, you should be allowed to place custom limits to your account if you’re at risk (stake & deposit limits or even self-exclusion).
How To Choose the Best Austrian Online Casinos
When comparing different options, you may start by considering your own preferences: for example, if you enjoy jackpot slots, the jackpot amounts available will be a deciding factor. The same applies if you have a higher bankroll – casinos with a good VIP scheme will certainly appeal to you.
Our team has also outlined some objective aspects to help you make the right choice in 2024:
Licensing & Security
Whilst Casinos Austria AG is the main supplier of land-based operations, the Austrian online gambling scene is dominated by offshore players with valid remote licences. One way to check if these credentials are legit is by accessing the homepage, then scroll to the footer section. Here you should be able to find a seal of approval, a license number and the issuer – trustworthy regulators include the likes of MGA, Curaçao eGaming or Gibraltar.
Bonuses & Offers
When it comes to bonuses and promotions, there are three things that separate the best from the rest: variety, fair wagering terms and accessibility to different player types.
Without further ado, here are the most common bonuses offered by online casino Austria sites in 2024:
- Welcome bonuses – These usually take the form of a single first deposit bonus or several bonuses included in the same package, if you make 2-4 qualifying deposits. Bonus percentages range from 100% to 500%. Other Austrian online casinos, such as Cobra Casino, even have crypto promotions on display, if you’re a fan of alternative payment methods
- High roller bonuses – Do you have a sizeable bankroll and look for bonuses specifically tailored to you? You can easily find reload bonuses for VIP customers advertised on most Austrian gambling sites: to claim them, you may need to make a higher deposit or use a promo code.
- Cashback bonuses – This is perhaps the most popular offer for Austrian players that we’ve encountered, as it’s ever-present on high-quality casinos like Kingbilly or Wolfy Casino. Some offer 5-15% cashback on your losing and/or winning bets, whilst others offer unlimited cashback.
- Wager-free bonuses – To help players keep their earnings and cash out easier, some online casinos in Austria, such as Tsars or Wolfy casino offer wager-free bonuses consisting of free spins, cashback and other daily rewards.
Terms & Conditions
Reliable online casinos, including those open to Austrian players, are required by their respective regulators to have a transparent terms & conditions section.
Here you should be able to find essential information, such as bonus terms (e.g. wagering requirements, which games count and in what percentages), data confidentiality, payment details, KYC, geographic and software restrictions, and so on.
When browsing through the games library of your chosen online casino in Austria, you should confirm three key things: diversity (e.g. online slots, poker, blackjack), amount (between 2,500-4,000 games total) and verified software (look for names like Big Time Gaming, NetEnt, Evolution Gaming, and Betsoft).
The main game types you’re bound to find on your next visit are:
- Slot games – It’s no longer a secret that slots gambling in Austria is huge: according to facts & figures from Casinos Austria AG, the country is home to no less than 2,087 slot machines! Popular, virtual online slot types with local gamblers include 777 slots, Egyptian slots, video slots, Megaways™ slots and feature buy slots.
- Table games – Table and card games involve equal parts luck and skill, drawing a heap of interest from strategic players. You can try out dozens of variations that use RNG technology, such as Blackjack First Person, Mini Roulette, and Caribbean Poker. You’ll play against the house, so the wait time on bets is reduced!
- Live casino games – Live casino games offer the most interactive experience possible. Friendly German or English-speaking dealers are ready to assist, sometimes even 24/7 by explaining the rules of the game and coordinating the action. You can expect to find 100+ live tables where live dealer roulette, live dealer baccarat or live casino game shows are held (e.g. Dream Catcher, Sweet Bonanza Candyland).
- Other casino games – If you prefer obscure or niche titles, such as arcade games, keno, scratch cards, dice or crash games, you’ll typically find them reunited in a subcategory called ‘other’. Beloved titles on Austrian online casinos include Plinko, Rocket Dice and Minesweeper.
Deposit, Withdrawal Payment Options
Getting funds in and out of your online casino account safely is of utmost importance, especially if you play on the go. Therefore, you want to make sure there are plenty of modern options provided as well, such as electronic wallets.
Most online casinos in Austria will list between 5-10 banking options, such as:
- E-wallets – Digital wallets save you the hassle of carrying around different debit cards, as you only need to save your details once. The most widely used e-wallets by gamblers from Austria are Skrill, NETELLER, Jeton, and Payz. Deposits are typically instant with this method, while withdrawals only take 24-48 hours or even less.
- Debit & credit cards – There’s nothing wrong with opting for credit and debit card deposits, a classic way of funding your account. Austrian online gambling sites support Visa, Mastercard, or even debit cards issued by neo banks, such as Revolut.
- Cryptocurrency – Maintaining privacy of your transactions is vital, particularly if we want to separate gambling activities from other expenses. Lucking, there are plenty of Bitcoin, Ethereum, and other top cryptocurrency casinos accepting Austrian players.
- Online banking – Fast online banking services are a go-to alternative for Austrian players who don’t want to wait up to 7 days for a traditional wire transfer to go through. SOFORT/Klarna casinos are super popular both in Austria and with German online casinos, but you can also find Rapid Transfer or Trustly offered as options.
Don’t forget to also check the deposit & withdrawal limits – usually, they differ depending on the method, ranging from €10 – €5,000 on average. If you’re a VIP player, you’ll be allowed to adjust them to your requirements by contacting customer support.
Language & Support Options
German is the main spoken language in Austria. As a result, most sites available in the country adapt accordingly and offer support the national tongue, alongside English.
They will usually automatically translate the website interface to German if you visit from Austria, offer German as a language option so you can select it yourself when browsing the offer, or employ German-speaking customer support agents, available 24/7.
We do everything on our mobile phones these days, from paying bills to online shopping. If you prefer playing casino games on the go, you can do just this through your smartphone or tablet.
In fact, the very best casinos are optimised by default for mobile visitors and offer a large number of HTML5 slots, so you can play from your browser without any extra steps.
According to Yogonet.com, 35% of the world’s population has access to a mobile phone. Moreover, 1.6 billion people gamble regularly.
Land-Based Casinos in Austria
When it comes to in-person gambling, Casinos Austria has a legal monopoly on gambling in the country. Founded in 1967, it is one of the largest casino operators in the world, with 40 land-based casinos in 16 nations.
These stylish locations offer a mix of hospitality, impressive architecture and elegant interiors, where players can enjoy classic casino games, such as roulette, blackjack, baccarat or slot machines.
Moreover, Austrian residents also have the chance to earn a massive Mega Million progressive jackpot worth up to €1,000,000, which is linked to all 12 land-based casinos in the country.
Pros & Cons of Online Casino Austria
Now that we’ve presented what options are in store for you, here are the main benefits and shortcomings of online casino sites in Austria:
- Large & varied games portfolio (slots, live dealer games, roulette etc.)
- Licensed by reliable regulators (MGA, AGCC, Curaçao)
- The vast majority offer German language support
- Casino bonuses & promotions for all player categories (VIP perks, free spins)
- Transparent KYC, privacy policies & bonus terms
- A booming market: according to Statista, Austria’s casino gaming revenue increased from 267 million euros in 2010 to a whopping 330 million euros in 2017
- Some websites are only available in English
- Certain features, bonuses & software providers may be restricted
Online Casino Austria 2024 – The Current Situation & What Lies Ahead
Gambling has been a popular pastime in Austria since as early as the 17th century – in terms of regulations, the sector has gone through important changes, from government prohibition to strict monopolies. However, things are looking up as of 2024.
Austria is taking small steps towards becoming a more gambling-friendly country. Land-based casinos are an important source of revenue, whilst the online sphere attracts thousands of players, with no sanctions imposed. Simply pick a casino from our list above, and enjoy!
Best Online Casinos in Austria FAQs
Yes, all forms of online gambling are legal in Austria. Although the local market is under a monopoly by Casinos Austria, residents are not prohibited to access foreign online gambling websites, as long as they are licensed and regulated.
Austria currently houses 12 land-based casinos, all operated and managed by Casinos Austria AG. Most are located in the major cities and tourist hot spots, such as Vienna, Bregenz, and Salzburg.
The gambling industry is regulated by the Ministry of Finance in Austria, which is the main licensing authority and supervisor. Moreover, gambling, casinos and lotteries are regulated via the Law on Games of Chance.
Top Austrian online casinos include the likes of Tsars, Mr. Bit, and Casumo.
You can access the most popular types of gambling games over the internet in Austria, such as online slots, video poker, live dealer games, roulette, blackjack, scratch cards, and the lottery.
No. Although gambling operators are subjected to various tax rates depending on the products they offer (sports betting, the lottery, or slots), players don’t owe any tax on winnings.