Best UK Online Casinos in 2022 – Discover the Top Casinos in the UK
The best online casinos in the UK have many things in common, including a great selection of games, various payment methods to choose from, and many tools to keep you safe and gambling responsibly.
Our experts explain everything in more detail below.
- Best UK Online Casinos 2022
- Is Online Gambling Legal In The UK?
- UK Online Casino Rules
- Payment Methods at Online Casinos UK
- Bonuses at Online Casinos UK
- How to Play at Online Casino in the UK
- How We Rate the Best UK Online Casinos
- Land-Based Casinos in the UK
- UK Online Casino Conclusion
- Best Online Casinos UK FAQs
Best UK Online Casinos 2022
100% Up to £500 + 50 Free Spins
Casimba Casino Review VISIT
100% Bonus up to £100 + 50 Bonus Spins
500 Free Spins
Netbet Casino Review VISIT
Deposit £10 get £30
LVBet Casino Review VISIT
Up to 500 Free Spins
Britain Play VISIT
100% up to £300 + 90 Bonus Spins
Up to 150 Free Spins
SlotKing Casino VISIT
1,000+ Games to Play
Betiton Casino Review VISIT
100% up to £123 + Always 10% Cashback
Fun casino VISIT
£100 Welcome Bonus
Race Casino VISIT
Stake £10, Get 50 Serious Free Spins
£20 Bonus + 10 Free Spins
£100 Welcome Bonus + 50 Free Spins
Vegas Hero VISIT
Wager £10, Get £199 Free Spins
Parimatch Casino Review VISIT
Is Online Gambling Legal In The UK?
Yes, totally! Given you are at least 18 years of age, you can sign up and play at UK casino sites. These websites will have all your favourites as well as exciting new titles, as the UK has not banned any games of skill or chance.
However, bear in mind that you can only sign up to online casinos which hold a licence from the United Kingdom Gambling Commission (UKGC).
Casinos which do not have these credentials usually block UK players from accessing their website.
UK Online Casino Rules
The online gambling scene in the UK is pretty easy to wrap your head around. With most games being legal, and with the government regulating casinos, your options are wide and varied.
But, as the saying goes, knowledge is power. So here’s what you need to know about the best online casinos in the UK.
The United Kingdom Gambling Commission & How It Keeps You Safe
For a UK casino site to be considered legal, it has to have a licence from the UKGC, the public body tasked with regulating and licensing all forms of gambling in the country.
This Board is relatively new, having replaced the Gaming Board for Great Britain in 2007.
Even so, its remit is quite extensive on the UK gambling scene, with its many policies ensuring that players are kept safe. Here’s how:
- All casinos that apply for a UKGC licence are subject to stringent checks beforehand. These checks look at various things, including reputation, history, and any links to fraud and crime.
- Many rules are imposed on licensed casinos to ensure that players, their data, and their money are always kept safe, that all games offered on the site are fair, and that any winnings are paid in full and in a timely manner.
- Numerous Responsible Gambling regulations also come into force, which are put in place to prevent problematic gambling behaviour.
- Casinos with a UKGC licence must show the Terms & Conditions of every bonus underneath the offer. This is to help you make more informed decisions before claiming any offers.
- Such casinos also have a duty to verify all players that sign up. This is done in order to protect those who are underage, as well as anyone who has opted to self-exclude from gambling on GAMSTOP or other such services.
- The UKGC consistently monitors casinos to ascertain that all of the above is always adhered to.
- As a player at a UKGC-licensed casino, you have the right to report any issues to this government body. You also have a right to file a dispute with eCOGRA, an independent authority that looks at fairness and safety at online casinos. Of course, this should only be done if the casino’s customer support has failed to help you.
Verifying Yourself at Online Casinos
To join an online casino site in the UK, you will need to fill in a registration form. This is usually quite simple to do, and it will ask you for a number of details, including your name and surname, email address, home address, and mobile number.
Over and above this, UK online casinos will ask you to verify your identity. This can and usually does include:
- An Identity Check. This can usually be done by sending a photo or a scan of your passport or driving licence.
- Proof of Residence. For this, you'll need to send the casino a photo or an original PDF version of a recent utility bill that includes your name and current address, or else a letter from your local council.
Be aware that this process may take a few days to be completed.
Is Playing at Casinos Registered Outside the UK Legal for UK Players?
In the world of online casinos, you will find that there are many reputable and popular licences. These include those from Malta and Curaçao, as well as those from British Crown dependencies like Alderney and the Isle of Man.
While the casinos that operate under these licences are still safe and legal in their respective jurisdictions, UK residents cannot play at such casinos. Indeed, it is incredibly important to only stick to casinos with a UK licence when playing from the UK.
The good news is that many European casinos have more than one licence, so an international casino that piques your fancy may indeed also have a UK licence. In that case, you can play there with complete peace of mind.
Our advice here is very simple: the best online casinos for UK players are super safe and have all the games you could wish for. There is honestly no reason to join a casino illegally when things are so good at legal operators.
Responsible gambling is taken very seriously at the best casinos online in the UK, both because of UKGC regulations and because the casinos themselves understand their responsibility towards their players.
When you join a UK casino online, you can expect to find many different tools that are there to help you gamble safely. These include:
- Verification, which confirms you are of age and not on the GAMSTOP list.
- Deposit Limits, which you can set by contacting Customer Care.
- Time-Outs, for when you need to take a break from gambling. These can last for 24 hours, a week, a month, or even longer.
- Timers, to help you keep track of the time you spend gambling.
- Reminders, which the casino sends you to help you visualise how much time and money you have spent gambling during a specific period of time.
- Self-Exclusion, which can last for a definite or indefinite period of time, and applies to all casinos.
- Links To Get Help, which are there to guide you to the relevant government bodies and charities that have been specifically set up to help problem gamblers.
Indeed, the UK government and quite a few entities are available to help players who feel are gambling excessively.
Among these are:
- Take Time to Think, which is run by the Betting and Gaming Council. This often appears under the names ‘betblocker’ or ‘Gambling Therapy’, and gives you multiple tools you can use across UK online casinos, including deposit limits, time outs, and self-exclusions.
- GamCare, a registered charity that offers free information, individual advice, and customised support to those who seek it.
- GAMSTOP, which is operated by The National Online Self-Exclusion Scheme Limited, and gives you the tools to self-exclude from all UK online casinos at one go.
Has Brexit Affected the Online Casino UK Experience?
The 2016 decision by the UK public to leave the EU has affected many industries, so it is no surprise that UK online casinos were not immune to these political changes.
Nevertheless, the impact on the industry has not really been that huge – at least for now.
For a start, online gambling in the European Union has never been centrally regulated, so the UK already had an established authority and various laws to regulate the thriving online casino market in its own territory, even post-Brexit.
As things stand, the biggest European and UK online casinos have a licence from both a European jurisdiction and from the UK. This allows them to cater to both European and British players in accordance with the law.
So far, all this is working favourably for both the casinos and the players. However, what will happen next depends on a multitude of factors, including whether the EU imposes restrictions on, or issue larger tax bills to, casinos that are based in the UK.
As things stand, we’ll simply have to wait and see how it all pans out. Until then, this industry has had one of the smoothest transitions!
Types of Games Available at a UK Online Casino
Any game of chance or skill you could possibly wish to play is available at online casino sites UK. Here’s what you can expect to find.
Payment Methods at Online Casinos UK
UK players have many options when it comes to depositing and withdrawing money from UK casino sites.
In the UK, winnings from gambling are not taxed in any way – in fact, you don’t have to declare these winnings to the HM Revenue & Customs. That is true whether you win £10 on a scratch card or a large jackpot while playing slots.
While there are now well over a dozen cryptocurrencies that can be used to gamble online, most UKGC casinos do not have them as an option. As things stand, Bitcoin and other digital currencies are a grey area legally, so to be on the safe side, UK online casinos do not usually accept them. This may change in the future, though.
Bonuses at Online Casinos UK
UK players can gain access to a wealth of online casino bonuses once they join one of the best UK casino sites.
Below, we take a look at the different ones you can come across.
The only thing you need to keep in mind is that reading the terms & conditions before you sign up for any such bonus is imperative.
How to Play at Online Casino in the UK
Joining a UK gambling site couldn’t be easier. In fact, all you have to do is follow some simple steps.
How We Rate the Best UK Online Casinos
When we’re putting together our casino lists – be it for the best online casinos in the UK or otherwise – we put a lot of focus on all the important factors that affect players.
Here’s what we look at:
- Licensing: If the casino doesn’t have the right licence, we simply leave it out.
- Reputation: Should the casino have a lot of negative reviews, then we take that into consideration.
- Game variety: An online casino needs to have plenty of gaming options to make it onto our list!
- Customer support: We know it’s vital to have someone to speak to should anything go wrong, so if customer support isn’t responsive, we leave the casino out.
- Mobile availability: With more and more players accessing online casinos from their phones, knowing the casino caters to mobile players is crucial.
- Security & Responsible Gambling: We believe that casinos should protect their players in every possible way. If the casino doesn’t do so, we leave it off our list.
Land-Based Casinos in the UK
The UK’s land-based gambling scene is rich and diverse, with hundreds of casinos dotting England, Scotland, and Wales (though none in Northern Ireland for the time being).
If you’re looking for more information with regards to this, we have a dedicated article on land-based casinos in the UK.
Online vs Land-Based Casinos in the UK
Wondering whether you should play online or at a land-based casino? Here are the pros and cons of each at a glance!
|UK Online Casinos||Land-Based Casinos UK|
UK Online Casino Conclusion
UK players are among the luckiest in the world – not only do they have loads of great casinos to choose from, but these sites are all perfectly secure, offering all the most popular as well as the latest games. Our only advice is to pick one that makes you happy – and to always play responsibly!
Best Online Casinos UK FAQs
It’s 18. This stands true for both online and land-based gambling.
Simply head to an online casino with a UKGC and click the Sign Up button. Fill in the form, and be sure to complete any verification processes required.
No! Gambling winnings in the UK are not taxed, no matter how big or small the amount may be.
This is due to a recent UKGC directive that aims to stop people from getting into debt while gambling. You can still use your debit card, however.
Your best bet is to go through a website like ours, which researches each and every casino site to ensure legality, safety, and trustworthiness. Even so, you can check from the small print at the bottom of the site.
Only a licence from the United Kingdom Gambling Commission makes a UK online casino legal. Casinos with any other licences cannot legally be accessed by the British public.
This is required by the UK Government, which aims to prevent people under the age of 18 from gambling, as well as to help them stop those who have self-excluded from relapsing. Your verification also helps authorities stop gambling-related fraud and crime.
Yes! Given you join a legal and trusted UK online casino and play for real money, then you stand a chance of winning actual cash. The best casinos have fast payouts, too.
Of course! Practically all the best UK online casino sites have a mobile version of their site. Some even have dedicated mobile apps, which you can download directly to your phone.
Yes, most online casinos UK let you test out slots and table games for free. Due to a UKGC directive that aims to curb underage and over-gambling, you will still need to sign up and be verified, though.
You can get in touch with one of the many government and charitable entities set up especially for this, including Take Time To Think, GamCare, and GAMSTOP. It’s also important to contact your casino’s customer support so they can be aware of your situation.
- Spinia Review If you’re looking for a fun and safe online casino experience, then Spinia Casino maybe the perfect fit. On the surface it’s a colourful and easy to navigate website....
- Cookie Casino Review With its colourful design, playful atmosphere, and great selection of games and bonuses, it’s easy to see why Cookie Casino has quickly become such a popular online casino since opening...
- CasinoFriday Review CasinoFriday is perfectly named for that sweet feeling we all get at the start of the weekend. Other than delivering on excellent design, this platform promises fast gameplay, deposits,...
Iggy Fenech is a well-known contributor to many local magazines. His career as a casino content writer spans a number of years and includes writing blog posts for the Malta iGaming Seminar 2014, content for the Malta Gaming Authority’s website, and SEO-enabled text for casino websites.