The Best Online Casinos in Portugal – Top Portugal Casino Sites
Portugal is renowned for its breathtaking landscapes, storied history, sun-soaked beaches, world-class dining… and thriving gambling scene! Online casino games are legal, available and regulated across the country — we are here to point you in the right direction for the best casino online Portugal has to offer!
The Best Online Casinos in Portugal
- Players from Portugal welcome
- One of the best Bitcoin casinos available
- Customer support options include Facebook and Twitter
- Easy for players from Portugal to sign up
- Live chat customer support available 24/7
- Huge selection of live dealer games
- Available for players from Portugal to sign up
- Massive selection of games and live casino options
- Many payment options supported
- Portuguese casino through and through
- Great no deposit offer
- All in one sportsbook and casino
- Accepts residents of Portugal
- Plenty of supported payment methods
- Huge games selection with live dealer tables available
- Players from Portugal welcome
- High monthly withdrawal limit
- Wide range of live dealer games
The Laws, Regulations, and History of Portugal Online Casinos
Portugal is not only a very beautiful country in the heart of the Iberian Peninsula, but it also has a rich gambling history – in-person games of luck and skill are a very popular pastime among locals and tourists.
Portugal is home to one of the oldest and biggest working casinos in Europe, the Estoril Casino, which opened its doors in 1916.
Because of the country's positive attitude toward the gambling landscape, online casinos have been fully regulated and legal since 2015. Thanks to the obvious benefits of a regulated market, they also bring a valuable contribution to the local economy via taxes.
If foreign operators wish to conduct business legally in the country and target Portuguese players, they need to apply for a licence and comply with all necessary requirements (e.g. protection of minors, responsible gambling practices).
History of Gambling & Online Casino in Portugal
The history of gambling in Portugal is a long one that extends back hundreds of years – it was the year 1783 that marked the launch of the country's National Lottery. In 1916, the country's oldest gambling establishment opened with the founding of Casino Estoril.
1989 was a major year – on that greeted a new law which regulated the activity of land-based operations. In 2000, the lottery became the first online gambling product that was made available to residents of Portugal.
Online casinos continued to operate within a grey area until 2015, when a new law legalised this latest and greatest form of gambling.
Portugal Online Casino: Laws & Regulations
Portugal’s 1989 Decree-Law 422/89 legalised the operation of land-based casinos in the market; years later, 2015’s Decree-Law 66/2015 legalised play for the country’s residents at casino online Portugal operators, also regulating online casinos in the Portuguese market. Consequently, operators of online casinos could legally offer their services to players from Portugal once they obtained a license to do so.
The Serviço de Regulação e Inspeção de Jogos do Turismo de Portugal (SRIJ) serves as the country's regulatory body for the oversight of all activities related to gambling activities. Games that are eligible for licenses include:
- Bingo operations
- Fixed-odds sports betting
- Betting on horse racing
- Online casinos that offer games of chance, such as slots, baccarat, poker, blackjack, etc.
Safety and Security at Top Portugal Online Casinos
Choosing safe and secure online casinos should always be a top priority when deciding where to deposit your money for gambling activities. Ensuring that an operator has a licence from a recognised body is a must.
Ideally, the casino would be licensed by Portugal’s own licensing authority, although additional licensing from the likes of the UK Gambling Commission, the Malta Gaming Authority and Curaçao eGaming is vital. You also want to play at online casinos that utilise SSL encryption as a way to protect your valuable personal and financial data.
It's a good idea to also keep an eye out for any independent certifications the casino might have. These will normally be displayed at the footer of the site’s homepage and might consist of awards the casino has received, along with any third-party verification for the site’s and games’ fairness.
How to Choose the Best Portugal Online Casinos
Choosing the best online casino involves looking at each operator’s safety and security measures, not to mention its licensing, bonuses and offers, as well as the selection of games and the terms and conditions. Here’s a quick run-down of what our team looks out for.
- Licensing information – You can typically find this information on the casino’s homepage: our advice is to match it with the Portuguese government’s public database to make sure the licence is in good standing and the operator is not blacklisted
- Casino games that match your taste and budget – There’s no such thing as the best games offer, as subjectivity always dictates choices. We recommend browsing through the games catalogue before registering and even using the free-play option to gauge what the betting ranges are like, what features are offered, and so on.
- Mobile apps are always a plus – If you gamble from a mobile device predominantly, it’s essential to find a casino that meets this demand. Many operators either have optimised platforms or native gambling apps for Android/iOS that you can download.
- Tailored bonuses & promotions – If you aim to become a long-term customer of an online casino, then you’ll want to make sure your loyalty is rewarded and that you can receive some exclusive bonuses as a result, such as a personal account manager, access to high-end events, or custom deposit/withdrawal limits.
- Check our above list – One of the easiest ways to choose the best online casino in Portugal is to check out our recommendations, which consist of only trusted, licensed online operators that accept players from Portugal. We are your go-to source for information on the best online casinos by country!
Licensing & Security
What you need to know before venturing out in search of the best casino online in Portugal is that only licensed operators are legally allowed to accept players from your country. Because of that, unlicensed platforms will automatically be blocked by your internet service provider and the local regulator.
However, you can still access an online casino licensed by other trustworthy European and international authorities, such as the MGA (Malta Gaming Authority), Curaçao eGaming, or the UKGC (UK Gambling Commission). All of the above are known for upholding very high-quality standards.
Licenses are typically issued for a period of 3 years, with each casino will audited periodically to ensure compliance.
Bonuses & Offers
Top casino operators in Portugal like to treat their newcomers and loyal players as royalty and spoil them with many casino bonuses and promotions, such as:
- No deposit bonuses – These types of bonuses can be claimed by any new player at an online casino in Portugal after registering and verifying their account or, alternatively, by using a promo code to unlock the offer. They may consist of bonus money or free spins to use on selected slots and typically come with rollover requirements.
- Matched deposit bonuses – This is the most popular offer that you can find at online casinos in Portugal, and the primary sign-up bonus you can take advantage of. To claim it, you will need to make a minimum deposit, which the casino will usually match by 100% casino bonus or more.
- Free spins – Because online slots are very popular in Portugal, many online casinos accepting Portuguese players will also offer a number of free spins with the welcome package. In general, you can only use these extra rounds at a particular slot (e.g. Book of Dead or Shining Crown), with each free spin having a predetermined value. There are maximum cashout limits to consider as well.
- High-roller bonuses – If you typically deposit large sums of money on the platform, some casinos, such as PlayAmo, offer high-roller bonuses. To claim such offers, you need to deposit above a certain threshold, after which you may be rewarded with cashback offers or matched deposit bonuses.
Top 4 Terms & Conditions
Reading your casino's terms and conditions is one of the most important things to do before signing up, as they are intended to inform and protect players, prevent the misuse of the casino's services, and promote responsible gambling.
Four important things to look at when investigating the T&Cs are:
1. Bonus Terms & Conditions – Free casino bonuses and promotions are one of the ways that operators encourage new players to join and make deposits and keep existing customers. Reading over the casino's bonus T&Cs is important, because they often include many specific details that are designed to keep players from taking unfair advantage of free gifts.
2. Wagering Requirements – Casino operators that give you a bonus will not allow you to simply withdraw that money into your bank straight away – you first have to use the bonus funds to place wagers a specified amount of times first. This is known as the wagering requirement, which must be completed before you can request a cashout of any remaining funds.
3. Minimum Required Deposits – While it may be possible to claim a bonus without making a deposit, these offers are rare. Most of the time, you will likely be required to make a deposit if you wish to withdraw any funds that you won while playing with bonus money.
4. Maximum Cash Out Limits – Understanding a casino's maximum cashout limit is also important when it comes to reading terms and conditions. This lets you know how much of your winnings you can withdraw in a single go.
A great selection of the most popular casino games should always be a prerequisite for finding the best casino operators in Portugal. We've listed down what you should look out for below:
Slots – A great selection of slots is a top priority for many players looking for their new favourite casino, with the average operator including anywhere from 500 to 4,000 exciting slot titles in its catalogue, covering a variety of popular slots themes.Play slots at bitStarz Casino
Table and Card Games – Table games such as blackjack, baccarat, craps and roulette enjoy great popularity in the Portuguese gambling market, as well as (and especially) poker. Top-rated operators offer popular poker variations such as Caribbean Stud Poker, Omaha, and Casino Hold'Em.Play table games at MrBit Casino
Live Casino Dealers – Live dealer casino games offer an immersive experience, giving players the feeling of gambling at a land-based establishment. With everything streamed directly to your device, you'll be able to interact with real-life dealers in Portuguese or English and provide a mobile-friendly experience so that the games can be played on any smartphone or tablet.Playlive casino games at Tsars Casino
Deposit, Withdrawal Payment Options
Players at online casinos in Portugal have some great deposit and withdrawal payment options that range from debit and credit cards to e-wallets, prepaid cards, online banking, and crypto.
It’s impossible to browse through a list of online casinos in Portugal and not find VISA or Mastercard listed right at the top of available payment options. Hugely popular in the European Economic Area (EEA) and worldwide, bank cards provide instant deposits, with your transactions secured by the 3DS (3D Secure) system. If you also want to use this method for withdrawals, do keep in mind that first you must make a deposit, so the online casino in Portugal can verify your identity and source of funds.
E-wallet casino payments have become one of the foremost options for players. According to public data by Juniper Research, it is forecasted that digital wallet spending will reach a staggering $10 trillion in 2025, encouraged by the rise of contactless payments and QR code payments. This also applies to the gambling industry and the Portuguese online casino market in general, where secure e-wallets are used predominantly for reasons such as speed, data confidentiality, and convenience.
If you already use your mobile device or tablet to play real-money slots or other casino games, you may be glad to discover that you may also fund your gambling account with it too. Popular pay-by-phone options include Boku, Siru, Apple Pay, and Samsung Pay. Depending on the method chosen, your transactions will then be deducted from your phone bill or credit. Deposits will be instant, however, unfortunately, you will need an alternative method to make withdrawals.
Many players prefer to steer clear of traditional bank transfers due to how slow they can be. If you’re in this boat as well, fantastic alternatives to use in 2022 – which you can find at your average Portuguese online casino – are services such as Trustly or Rapid Transfer. You don’t even need to create additional accounts – you simply insert your online banking credentials, authorise the transaction, and enjoy faster money transfers.
If you value increased privacy when it comes to your gambling transactions, then look no further than cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin, Litecoin, Ethereum or Dash. Luckily, if this is what you’re after, there’s no shortage of quality operators to choose from, many of which are licensed under the laws of Curaçao.
Language & Support Options
Aside from a Portuguese language option, a variety of customer support options are important to look out for. Many online casinos in Portugal offer support via email and phone, as well as a 24/7 live chat service.
Land-Based Casinos in Portugal
There are currently 13 casino venues across Portugal that are open to both residents and visitors, with eight of these run by Estoril-Sol and Solverde. Popular establishments include Casino Lisbon, Casino Estoril, and Casino Chaves.
Summary of the Top Online Casinos in Portugal
With a storied gambling history and laws that are designed to provide players with safe, regulated, and legal options, there is a lot to be excited about when it comes to this exciting market. We recommend you check out our top recommendations today so that you can find your new favourite online casinos in Portugal!
Best Casino Online Portugal FAQs
Given that Portugal has a developed and regulated gambling market, there are a lot of great options to choose from. Check out our list of recommendations above for the top ones!
Yes. Online gambling is legal in Portugal, as long as you choose a licensed foreign operator.
No, quite the opposite. Not only are land-based casinos legal in Portugal, but they make up a big chunk of the country’s tourism revenue.
Interestingly enough, the legal gambling age in Portugal is 21 years old, as opposed to 18 years old, which is the standard in most European countries.
There are many factors to look into, such as licensing, games offer, bonuses and promotions, features of the platform, and mobile optimisation.
No. Player winnings at both land-based and online casinos in Portugal are tax-exempt.