The Best Online Casinos in Portugal – Top Portugal Casino Sites
Portugal is renowned for its breathtaking landscapes, storied history, sun-soaked beaches, world-class dining… and thriving gambling scene! Online casino games are legal, available and regulated across the country — we are here to point you in the right direction for the best casino online Portugal has to offer!
- The Best Online Casinos in Portugal – 2023 Update
- Top Casinos Online Portugal 2023 Mini Reviews
- The Laws, Regulations, and History of Portugal Online Casinos
- Safety and Security at Top Portugal Online Casinos
- How To Choose the Best Portugal Online Casinos
- Games Selection
- What can I play from Portugal?
- What I can’t play from Portugal?
- What Payment Methods Can Be Used Online in Portugal?
- Land-Based Casinos in Portugal
- Summary of the Top Online Casinos in Portugal
- Best Casino Online Portugal FAQs
The Best Online Casinos in Portugal – 2023 Update
- Popular brand with Portuguese gamblers
- Mobile apps for Android & iOS
- Many offers for active players
- Registration from Portugal allowed
- 24/7 customer support
- Activities & tournaments
- Welcomes Portuguese players
- Impressive range of software providers
- High stakes live casino
- Platform available in Portuguese
- Frequent offers for players
- Best place for bonus buy slots
Top Casinos Online Portugal 2023 Mini Reviews
Are you looking for the best online casinos Portugal and don’t want to spend forever browsing the internet? Our expert team is here to assist you, with a few top-notch choices below, already vetted for security, transparency and game fairness:
We’re beginning our breakdown with 888 Casino, a legitimate option to consider for any Portuguese player. Firstly, the site has a dedicated domain for this region called 888.pt, where all the key information is structured in the Portuguese language. In addition, your first deposit to the site will be matched by 100% up to €1,000, so you’ll benefit from a substantial boost to your existing bankroll. Owned by 888 Portugal Limited, the 888.pt website is operated lawfully, holding a license from the SRIJ, the country’s local licensing authority.
As we’ve established in our general 888 Casino review, this operator is amongst the oldest on the market, so you can trust its reliability and reputation. Alongside the chance to explore exclusive content next to tried-and-tested slots, table games and live casino, there’s also has a great VIP club in store. To make payments easier for Portuguese players, 888 Casino also supports local bank transfers directly in EUR.Play slots at 888 Casino
Are you down for an online gambling experience that’s cool as ice? (no pun intended!). Then our next casino Portugal will surely spark your interest. Licensed and regulated by the government of Curaçao, Ice Casino proposes an internationally-flavoured offering, containing classic online slot machines, immersive live dealer games, instant win games and a special section called ‘popular in Portugal’, filled with local hit titles.
The site provides an outstanding welcome bonus of up to €1,500 + 270 free spins for new players, in addition to a dedicated high roller bonus. Each week is lit up by even more enticing offers, including up to €2,000 cashback and 90% deposit bonuses. To facilitate navigation, there’s a Portuguese language option provided as well, and you may also converse with a live agent in your mother tongue, should you face any difficulties setting up your account.
The house of poker is also open to Portuguese players, so if you’re ready to rule that deck of cards, now’s your chance to show off your skills.
The PokerStars brand has a reputation that precedes it, and it’s also one of the top online casinos Portugal. In addition to hosting a dedicated subdomain for the Portuguese and native language support, all the regulatory checkboxes are ticked, so you should have no worries about security or legitimacy. The owner is a Maltese company, Rational Intellectual Holdings limited, and it secured a local license from the SRIJ (Serviço de Regulação e Inspecção de Jogos).
PokerStars also agreed to have its content audited and independently verified by Gaming Labs International (GLI), meaning that you can rest assured you’ll enjoy a fair gaming experience. Lastly, before you tackle those exciting slots and poker tables, don’t forget to redeem the 100% welcome bonus up to €1,000, on your first deposit with the code “CASINO1000”. Just like we mentioned in our PokerStars casino review, there are many benefits for regulars to uncover as well, if they participate in the StarsRewards program.Play slots at PokerStars Casino
The Laws, Regulations, and History of Portugal Online Casinos
Portugal is not only a very beautiful country in the heart of the Iberian Peninsula, but it also has a rich gambling history – in-person games of luck and skill are a very popular pastime among locals and tourists.
Portugal is home to one of the oldest and biggest working casinos in Europe, the Estoril Casino, which opened its doors in 1916.
Because of the country's positive attitude toward the gambling landscape, online casinos have been fully regulated and legal since 2015. Thanks to the obvious benefits of a regulated market, they also bring a valuable contribution to the local economy via taxes.
If foreign operators wish to conduct business legally in the country and target Portuguese players, they need to apply for a licence and comply with all necessary requirements (e.g. protection of minors, responsible gambling practices).
History of Gambling and Online Casino in Portugal
The history of gambling in Portugal is a long one that extends back hundreds of years – to make things easier to understand, we’ll walk you through the most important events that shaped the market as we know it today:
- 1783 – The country establishes its National Lottery.
- 1916 – Casino Estoril gets founded, which is one of the countries’ oldest and most well-known gambling establishments to this day.
- 1989 – A new law comes into effect with the purpose of regulating the activity of land-based operations.
- 2000 – The lottery becomes the first online gambling product to be made available to residents of Portugal.
- 2023 – The SRIJ, Portugal’s country regulator, becomes the first European authority to classify crash games as a separate product in the online casino arena and recognize it as a new vertical. It also imposes a strict requirement for operators. They must ensure the crash came multipliers don’t go above 100x, and that a minimal RTP of 80% is guaranteed.
Portugal Online Casino: Laws & Regulations
Portugal’s 1989 Decree-Law 422/89 legalised the operation of land-based casinos in the market; years later, 2015’s Decree-Law 66/2015 legalised play for the country’s residents at casino online Portugal operators, also regulating online casinos in the Portuguese market. Consequently, operators of online casinos could legally offer their services to players from Portugal once they obtained a license to do so.
The Serviço de Regulação e Inspeção de Jogos do Turismo de Portugal (SRIJ) serves as the country's regulatory body for the oversight of all activities related to gambling activities. Games that are eligible for licenses include:
- Bingo operations
- Fixed-odds sports betting
- Betting on horse racing
- Online casinos that offer games of chance, such as slots, baccarat, poker, blackjack, etc.
Safety and Security at Top Portugal Online Casinos
Choosing safe and secure online casinos should always be a top priority when deciding where to deposit your money for gambling activities. Ensuring that an operator has a licence from a recognised body is a must.
It's a good idea to also keep an eye out for any independent certifications the casino might have. These will normally be displayed at the footer of the site’s homepage and might consist of awards the casino has received, along with any third-party verification for the site’s and games’ fairness.
How To Choose the Best Portugal Online Casinos
Choosing the best online casino involves looking at each operator’s safety and security measures, not to mention its licensing, bonuses and offers, as well as the selection of games and the terms and conditions. Here’s a quick run-down of what our team looks out for.
- Licensing information – You can typically find this information on the casino’s homepage: our advice is to match it with the Portuguese government’s public database to make sure the licence is in good standing and the operator is not blacklisted
- Casino games that match your taste and budget – There’s no such thing as the best games offer, as subjectivity always dictates choices. We recommend browsing through the games catalogue before registering and even using the free-play option to gauge what the betting ranges are like, what features are offered, and so on.
- Mobile apps are always a plus – If you gamble from a mobile device predominantly, it’s essential to find a casino that meets this demand. Many operators either have optimised platforms or native real-money gambling apps for Android/iOS that you can download.
- Tailored bonuses & promotions – If you aim to become a long-term customer of an online casino, then you’ll want to make sure your loyalty is rewarded and that you can receive some exclusive bonuses as a result, such as a personal account manager, access to high-end events, or custom deposit/withdrawal limits.
- Check our above list – One of the easiest ways to choose the best online casino in Portugal is to check out our recommendations, which consist of only trusted, licensed online operators that accept players from Portugal. We are your go-to source for information on the best online casinos by country!
Licensing & Security
What you need to know before venturing out in search of the best casino online in Portugal is that only licensed operators are legally allowed to accept players from your country. Because of that, unlicensed platforms will automatically be blocked by your internet service provider and the local regulator.
However, you can still access an online casino licensed by other trustworthy European and international authorities, such as the MGA (Malta Gaming Authority), Curaçao eGaming, or the UKGC (UK Gambling Commission). All of the above are known for upholding very high-quality standards.
Licenses are typically issued for a period of 3 years, with each casino will audited periodically to ensure compliance.
Bonuses & Offers
Top casino operators in Portugal like to treat their newcomers and loyal players as royalty and spoil them with many casino bonuses and promotions, such as:
- No deposit bonuses – These types of bonuses can be claimed by any new player at an online casino in Portugal after registering and verifying their account or, alternatively, by using a promo code to unlock the offer. They may consist of bonus money or free spins to use on selected slots and typically come with rollover requirements.
- Matched deposit bonuses – This is the most popular offer that you can find at online casinos in Portugal, and the primary sign-up bonus you can take advantage of. To claim it, you will need to make a minimum deposit, which the casino will usually match by 100% casino bonus or more.
- Free spins – Because online slots are very popular in Portugal, many online casinos accepting Portuguese players will also offer a number of free spins with the welcome package. In general, you can only use these extra rounds at a particular slot (e.g. Book of Dead or Shining Crown), with each free spin having a predetermined value. There are maximum cashout limits to consider as well.
- High-roller bonuses – If you typically deposit large sums of money on the platform, some casinos, such as PlayAmo, offer high-roller bonuses. To claim such offers, you need to deposit above a certain threshold, after which you may be rewarded with cashback offers or matched deposit bonuses.
Top 4 Terms & Conditions
Reading your casino's terms and conditions is one of the most important things to do before signing up, as they are intended to inform and protect players, prevent the misuse of the casino's services, and promote responsible gambling.
Four important things to look at when investigating the T&Cs are:
It’s a given that the cream of the crop in the online casinos Portugal showdown stands out especially in the games department. Below, you can find the most common categories available in Portuguese online casinos, and what surprises they hold in store for you:
Slots are everyone’s darling and still the undisputed leaders in the popularity contest. Anyone can try them without any special skills, and their generous median RTPs of 95-96% gives a fair shot at winning over the long haul. Portuguese players are often spoiled with pre-made categories here, such as ‘new’, ‘popular’ or ‘exclusive games’.Play slots at bitStarz Casino
Table & Card Games
Blending different parts skill and luck, table & card games are a go-to for intermediary players. They cover a wide range of titles, from online roulette, to blackjack, baccarat and even scratchcards. What they have in common is the RNG technology determining the outcome of each round.Play table games at Casino Portugal
Also known as instant win games or jogos instantâneos in Portuguese, this gambling category is rich in opportunities for all players. To participate, simply bet on the outcome of each game round and learn when to cash out so you reap the maximum multiplier value. Common additions for Portuguese players include Aviator, Mines and Space XY.
Live casino games provide the most authentic and immersive experience there is, making you feel like you’re playing in person, at a land-based establishment. All of the above is made possible by streaming technology, realistic visuals and high software capabilities. Of course, at the best online casinos in Portugal, you may interact with English or Portuguese-speaking dealers.Play live casino at Mostbet Casino
What can I play from Portugal?
- ✔️ Bingo games
- ✔️ Fixed-odds sportsbetting
- ✔️ Horseracing
- ✔️ Online games of chance (e.g. slots, poker, blackjack)
- ✔️ Live casino
- ✔️ Crash games
What I can’t play from Portugal?
- ❌ Any casino games on international platforms with no SRIJ licensing
What Payment Methods Can Be Used Online in Portugal?
The most exceptional online casinos Portugal cater to all player preferences when it comes to banking, featuring tried-and–tested methods like debit cards, next to the latest digital currencies. Here are the most common methods you’ll definitely run into:
Language & Support Options
Aside from a Portuguese language option, a variety of customer support options are important to look out for. Many online casinos in Portugal offer support via email and phone, as well as a 24/7 live chat service.
Land-Based Casinos in Portugal
There are currently 13 casino venues across Portugal that are open to both residents and visitors, with eight of these run by Estoril-Sol and Solverde. Popular establishments include Casino Lisbon, Casino Estoril, and Casino Chaves.
Summary of the Top Online Casinos in Portugal
With a storied gambling history and laws that are designed to provide players with safe, regulated, and legal options, there is a lot to be excited about when it comes to this exciting market. We recommend you check out our top recommendations today so that you can find your new favourite online casinos in Portugal!
Best Casino Online Portugal FAQs
As always, it’s hard to come up with a single answer, with so many top choices lurking around. If you value native language support, we recommend sites like 888 Casino, IceCasino or Casino Portugal. On the other end, fans of crypto gambling and original content might certainly enjoy Bitstarz better.
Yes. Online gambling is legal in Portugal, as long as you choose a licensed foreign operator.
No, quite the opposite. Not only are land-based casinos legal in Portugal, but they make up a big chunk of the country’s tourism revenue.
Interestingly enough, the legal gambling age in Portugal is 21 years old, as opposed to 18 years old, which is the standard in most European countries.
No. Player winnings at both land-based and online casinos in Portugal are tax-exempt.
Yes, many of the best online casinos Portugal designed gambling apps for Android, iOS or both, for example PokerStars and 888 Casino.