localCasinos by Country – Explore the Best Casino Sites in Your Region for 2022
Gambling transcends all borders in 2022, with your favourite casino games being accessible from anywhere now that almost everyone has a computer or mobile device. Discover our guide to online casinos by country, so you can play in a secure environment while abiding by the local gambling regulations.
- Browse the Best Online Casinos By Country
- Australia & Oceania
- Gambling Laws by Country & Region
- Are the Best Online Casinos Available in All Countries?
- What Is a Gambling Jurisdiction?
- Geographical Restrictions & Online Gambling
- Choosing the Right Casino in Your Country
- Red Flags About Online Casinos
- Payment Methods at Online Casinos Worldwide
- Top Games To Try at International Casinos
- Casinos By Country FAQs
Browse the Best Online Casinos By Country
Australia & Oceania
Gambling Laws by Country & Region
The gambling laws of each country and region are unique and heavily influenced by several factors – from political regime, to government involvement, and even the attitude of the civil population.
Some countries ban gambling entirely, both in person and over the internet, and even criminalise it due to moral and religious beliefs.
Others have very gambling-friendly legal landscapes, allowing operators to get licensed locally, or even apply for offshore and remote gaming licences (e.g. Malta and Gibraltar).
Before you choose the best sites in your region, it’s important to research the local gambling laws of your country.
Here are some important questions you should be asking when trying to find online casinos by country:
- What are the licensing requirements?
- What is the national gambling authority?
- Are you legally allowed to access online casinos regulated overseas?
- What is the legal gambling age?
- What are your tax obligations on winnings?
Of course, there may be more questions that come to mind, but knowing the above will put you on the right path to choosing the best online casino for you. This includes being able to receive customer support in your language, claim the best games & bonuses, and keep any personal details shared with the platform confidential.
Are the Best Online Casinos Available in All Countries?
Depending on your geographical location and the current regulations of your country, you will have access to a different selection of online casinos.
That is because in some countries, you are only allowed to register on online casinos licensed by the government or the local regulator (e.g. ONJN in Romania, KSA in The Netherlands, UKGC in the UK).
In this particular instance, your access to online casinos licensed in other jurisdictions will be blocked automatically by the national regulator or your internet service provider.
As such, they can offer their services locally and remotely, and accept players from multiple countries around the world.
Ultimately, your best bet is to always check terms & conditions before signing up on online casinos worldwide. There, you will typically encounter a list of restricted countries or territories and learn in just a few minutes if the platform takes registrations from your region.
Alternatively, some online casinos will display a separate page showing a “restricted” message, and block your access entirely from their homepage and subsequent offer.
Do keep in mind that even if you use a VPN service, many platforms will still bypass it, learn your real location and restrict your access. This serves as a form of protection to discourage both unlawful and underage gambling.
What Is a Gambling Jurisdiction?
There are regions around the world that have created specific legislation to issue licenses to iGaming companies and regulate the activity of online gambling sites.
That is why they are known as gambling jurisdictions or licensing jurisdictions. Each of them has a government, a gambling commission, licensing authority, board or association that oversees all gambling activities for that specific region.
A gambling jurisdiction licensing authority’s key job is to make sure the online gambling operators they license comply with local legislation.
Licensing authorities frequently audit casino software to ensure fairness and random odds, verify the platform’s bonus terms and conditions for transparency, and make sure the operators comply with responsible gambling initiatives.
If any licensing terms are not met, the regulatory body for that particular jurisdiction can fine the operator, blacklist their platform, and even suspend or revoke their licence.
The most well-known and respected gambling jurisdictions in the world are:
- MGA (Malta Gaming Authority) – Malta is a hub for online gambling and it frequently attracts the biggest names in the industry due to its favourable business landscape and clear regulations. For that reason, MGA is widely viewed as a prestigious gambling jurisdiction, with very high-quality standards and player protection initiatives set for licensees. MGA’s goals are to issue licences, protect minors, provide a fair and safe gaming environment, collect taxes from operators for the Maltese government and support innovation in the sector.
- UKGC (UK Gambling Commission) – The UK Gambling Commission regulates all gambling activities in the United Kingdom, such as arcades, bingo, lottery, casinos or software providers. International casinos are not allowed to advertise their services to UK players without getting licensed by UKGC, first, and the regulator’s requirements are very strict (uphold identification checks, integrate self-exclusion schemes, and so on).
- AGCC (Alderney Gambling Control Commission) – Established in May 2020, the commission regulates eGaming activities on behalf of the States of Alderney. The organization operates independently and is not affiliated with any political parties. AGCC Casinos abide by stringent international standards for their customers, especially in terms of player protection. Same as MGA, players can directly submit a complaint with AGCC if they’ve had an unpleasant experience with any of their licensed casinos.
Geographical Restrictions & Online Gambling
As mentioned previously, your first priority when browsing through the best online casinos is to make sure they accept players from your region.
Typically, this will be easy to figure out when you first try to create an account – if you can’t find your country/region anywhere in the list at registration, then you’re not eligible to join.
Unfortunately, even if you can sign up on your favourite casino, there may still be other restrictions in place.
Particularly in relation to the bonuses and promotions you can claim, the software providers and games you have access to, the payment methods you can use, the currencies accepted etc.
Limits can also be imposed by the regulator on licence holders, which is something else to consider when going through casinos by country.
For example, in the UK, slots with bonus buy feature are prohibited by the UK Gambling Commission. On top of that, regulated casinos are required to display bonus terms transparently for each offer.
Gambling with credit cards has also been banned in the UK since April 2020, although this is a legal practice in other countries around the world.
Furthermore, language barriers often exist as well – customer support services are usually available in English by default and sometimes that’s the only option provided. International casinos are a happy exception, as they typically list several other European languages as well, such as German, French or Finnish.
The bottom line is that it’s always best for you to find an online casino that is tailored to your market and region. This increases your chances to find support in your native language, receive bonus amounts in your country’s currency and have a chance to file and resolve any complaints directly with the regulator.
Choosing the Right Casino in Your Country
As you may have gathered thus far, online gambling around the world looks very different – there is no single legislation that applies on a global scale.
Even though most gambling games cater to a wide audience and the internet aims to connect players from all over the world in poker rooms or on slot sites, local laws can greatly influence – and even restrict – your gambling experience.
When you’re searching casinos by country in 2022, here are the key aspects to keep in mind:
Local Currency & Language Support
The best casino sites not only target multiple regions, but they also make it a top priority to provide a localised experience for users.
To achieve that, they won't just take deposits in EUR or USD, but also in native currencies, depending on the countries they advertise to. This serves players well as it saves them additional currency exchange fees.
Furthermore, top online gambling platforms allow international visitors to adjust the website interface to their desired language. Although English is frequently the default, casinos like Unibet allow you to select more than 10 other languages.
Licence Covers Your Country
To make sure you’re protected when gambling online, the most important step is to check the gambling platform’s licence issuer, type, number and validity. Then, go one step further and verify whether the issuing authority covers your region as well.
For example, the UK Gambling Commission is only responsible for licensing people and businesses that provide gambling in Great Britain. Likewise, MGA regulates all forms of gaming in Malta.
Reliable Customer Service
One of the defining casino features of international gambling sites is that they offer customer support services, in multiple languages.
Some of the best casinos will also offer support 24/7, or else during time slots which are convenient for many international users. You should be able to reach the team through live chat, email or telephone. Some online casinos will also have a dedicated help line for VIP users.
If you want to avoid the unpleasant situation of your favourite casino games not being available in your region, your best bet is to choose developers and gaming studios with an international reach.
Such is the case of NetEnt, Microgaming, Evolution Gaming, Pragmatic Play and Yggdrasil. Their software is also independently verified by organizations like iTech Labs and eCOGRA, so there’s no risk of ever playing rigged games.
What’s more, all of the above are leaders in their respective market segments and they offer thematically-rich games – whether you prefer live dealer roulette with the best camera angles or 3D video slots inspired by movies and action heroes, Egyptian mythology or Vegas.
Access to Special Bonuses
When going through casinos by country in search of the right gambling platform for you, one final aspect to consider is the frequency and variety of their bonus offers, promotions & loyalty programmes.
Your local gambling laws can sometimes restrict you from accessing a particular welcome package or no deposit casino bonus, so it’s wise to check terms & conditions for every offer first before registering a new account.
Don’t forget that most casino offers will also come with wagering requirements – analyse them carefully and make sure they’re fair and achievable in the specified timeframe.
Red Flags About Online Casinos
Now that we’ve established the basic elements that make up high-quality casinos by country, it’s essential to also learn the major red flags you need to be aware of. Staying informed will ensure you benefit from a secure gambling experience, avoid any fraudulent websites, and get the best RTP scores:
Depending on the jurisdiction they operate in, online casinos can hold many types of licences:
- Local licence (valid for one country or state);
- Remote licence (issued to iGaming businesses that offer gambling services over the internet);
- Game-specific licence (allows casinos or software providers to only offer particular types of games, such as lottery and slot machines).
However, some online casinos choose to operate independently in unregulated markets and don’t have a licence from a central authority.
This is a major red flag because if you register, you won’t benefit from any player protection that comes with licensing (transparent bonus terms, responsible gambling support, complaint resolution, etc.).
Be very careful when you browse through any casinos by country list – a licensed gambling platform will display key information on the homepage, which includes the logo of the issuer and the licence type.
If you can only find an establishment year for the platform and nothing else, steer clear of it.
Low Withdrawal Limits
Restrictive withdrawal limits are yet another sign you could be dealing with a shady platform. These may even indicate they hold players' funds or refuse to credit wins.
Legitimate online casinos have flexible and fair withdrawal limits set for single transactions, weekly or monthly withdrawals. Most will allow you to cash out sometimes up to €10,000 every week if you’re a regular player, with VIP customers benefitting from custom limits.
Little or No Responsible Gambling Tools
In some countries around the world, a legal condition of getting licensed is to support responsible gambling and collaborate with specialised organizations, such as Gamcare.co.uk or Gamstop.
If you’re looking over a casinos by country list and neither of them have any detailed section on responsible gambling and how they help vulnerable players (through options like self-exclusion and time out), avoid signing up.
Payment Methods at Online Casinos Worldwide
Global online casinos target the widest audience there is, and because of that, they will make sure to offer different banking options for multicurrency deposits and withdrawals.
Depending on the country you access from, a different selection of payment options will appear to you:
- Regional payment methods – Even if they have an international presence, many new casinos will also offer niche payment options for the key regions they service (e.g. iDEAL casinos for players in The Netherlands, Boleto Bancario for Brazilians, QIWI casinos for Russians).
- Global payment methods – These banking solutions cross borders and can be used by millions of customers worldwide, and include e-wallets (PayPal, Skrill, NETELLER) or cryptocurrencies (Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin)
Top Games To Try at International Casinos
Whilst a local casino tends to have a limited selection of games and software providers they work with, international casinos can host thousands of titles, such as:
- Online Slots – When browsing casinos by country, you’ll notice that online slots make up a large part of the offer, as they are universally appreciated by beginners and pros. You can expect to find between 500-3,000 online slots on average from providers like EGT, NOVOMATIC games or Microgaming, split into dedicated categories based on themes & features (e.g. jackpot slots, 3D slots, video slots, branded slots).
- Table Games – If you consider yourself the king of cards or roulette wheels, you’ll absolutely love table games that you can play against the house, such as video poker, Casino Hold’Em or European Roulette. Keep in mind that these games don’t happen in real time – you play against computer software and each shuffle, round or spin is completely random, decided by RNG technology.
- Live Dealer Games – Although most live dealer games are organized and coordinated by English-speaking croupiers 24/7, international casinos make an extra effort to welcome their global audience. They offer live games and variations in languages such as French, German or Hindi. Some examples include Andar Bahar by Evolution Gaming, Teen Patti or Turkish Roulette.
Gambling is a popular pastime in so many places around the world, however, it can be daunting to find the right online casino for you when there are so many distinct laws and regulations. Hopefully, our casinos by country guide will ease you into that process!
Don’t forget to select your region and you’ll find all the info you’re after – gambling legislation, the best casinos, games, bonuses & reviews in 2022!
Casinos By Country FAQs
It depends. If they are licensed locally and targeting one country or region, they will only offer customer support in one language. International casinos, on the other hand, will provide assistance in several languages, such as English, Spanish, French or German.
In the vast majority of cases, online casinos only take bets in the major currencies of the world (EUR, USD or CAD). Only few of them also accept deposits in smaller country currencies, such as Hungarian Forint, Romanian Leu or Colombian Peso.
Online gambling is legal in some parts of the United States (e.g. Delaware, New Jersey), in most European countries (e.g. Spain, Greece, Malta), in the UK and in some Canadian provinces, namely Ontario, British Columbia and Alberta.
Online casinos with an international footprint frequently list global or even borderless payment methods to accommodate the needs of their players. Such methods include e-wallets, mobile pay, paysafecard deposits or cryptocurrency.
All forms of gambling are banned in most Islamic countries, and punishable by up to 2 years in prison (e.g. United Arab Emirates, Brunei, Qatar). Certain gambling activities are also prohibited or heavily restricted in some parts of Asia, namely in Cambodia, North Korea, Japan, and Singapore.
Although it’s a very popular sign-up offer, not every online casino will advertise a welcome bonus. Even if they do, remember that geographical restrictions still apply, so always verify if your country of origin is on the excluded list for the welcome bonus or not.
- The Best Online Casinos With A Gibraltar Licence in 2022 The tiny island of Gibraltar is a self-governing British overseas territory that can be found on the southern tip of the Iberian Peninsula. Starting in the early 2000s, many...
- Licensed Online Casinos to Play at Safely in 2022 A licensed online casino is one that is regulated by a central gambling authority or commission. Operators can be licensed on a local, regional or national level. [toc] Where...
- UAE Online Casinos 2022: Your Full Guide The vibrant and luxurious cities of UAE, such as Dubai and Abu Dhabi, aren’t the Las Vegas of the Middle East, as gambling is completely banned. Despite this, many...