Best Online Casinos Greece 2022
Greece is renowned for many things, including its glorious food and beaches – but what if we told you that the best online casino Greece has to offer can be right at your fingertips? We've got everything you need to know in this article!
- The Best Greek Casino Sites To Sign Up To in 2022
- Is Online Gambling in Greece Legal?
- Online Casino Greece – What Should I Know?
- How We Rate Our Best Online Casinos
- Games at Online Casino Greece
- Are Bitcoin Games Available at Online Casino Greece?
- How to Play at Online Casinos Greece
- Bonuses at the Best Online Casinos in Greece
- Payment Methods at Online Casinos Greece
- Land-Based Casinos in Greece
- Online Casino Greece – Final Thoughts
- Online Casino Greece FAQs
The Best Greek Casino Sites To Sign Up To in 2022
125% up to €600 Welcome Bonus
100% Welcome Bonus Up To 200€ + 10 Free Spins
Netbet Casino Review Play
Welcome Offer Up To 1,000€ + 150 Free Spins
New Player Bonus Up To €50
Deposit and stake £10 on eligible Casino games to get a £50 bonus. Wager the bonus 40 times on eligible games to make the bonus balance withdrawable. Time limits, game restrictions and T&Cs apply. #AD
Is Online Gambling in Greece Legal?
Yes, it is! In fact, pretty much all forms of gambling became legal in Greece, thanks to the Gambling Act of 2011.
The country also licenses casinos itself through the Hellenic Gaming Commission (HGC). Only casinos that carry this licence can legally offer gambling games online to players in Greece.
Greek players usually also have access to plenty of other casino brands registered in foreign jurisdictions, such as Malta, Cyprus or Curaçao. Even so, we recommend playing at casinos online in Greece that have an HGC license only.
History of Gambling in Greece
Greece’s history of gambling goes back millennia. Indeed, there are even ancient urns depicting the likes of Ajax and Achilles playing dice games.
Nevertheless, the country had a strange relationship with gambling for many years. On the one hand, the gods were said to gamble; on the other, mortals playing games of chance was perceived as somewhat debauched.
By 2020, the Hellenic Gaming Commission opened submissions for one or both of its licences for online betting and online games of chance. Today, this is open to all legal entities based in Greece, the European Union, and in an EEA Member State.
Online Casino Greece – What Should I Know?
Playing at the best online casinos in Greece is easy and pain free, but it’s good to know how it all works.
As we’ve seen above, only casinos licensed by the HGC can be legally accessed by players residing in Greece. This regulating body takes care of everything that has to do with gambling.
This includes all matters having to do with regulating online and land-based casinos, collecting related taxes, as well as issuing permits.
Of course, you may also come across casinos that are accessible to Greeks, that accept euro, and have Greek as a possible language option – but which do not have the HGC licence.
These may not necessarily be unlicensed or untrustworthy. Indeed, the best Malta Gaming Authority casino sites, the best Curaçao casinos, and those registered in Cyprus still have a great security features in place.
Nevertheless, the Greek government only allows gambling at sites with an HGC licence, and with so many good brands available, why risk it?
English is the main language in the online casino world, but many brands – especially top new casino sites – are now offering their services in a variety of languages, including French, German, and Italian.
HGC-licensed casinos, by contrast, all come in Greek as standard, and some may add English versions of the site – additionally, you can always use Google Translate to help you along.
Oh, and many of the games by the best makers also come in Greek, including NetEnt’s iconic Starburst!
An HGC-licensed online casino Greece will obviously accept deposits and withdrawals made in euro (EUR). Some may also allow you to use other currencies, like the US dollar (USD) and the Great British Pound (GBP).
When you sign up to one of the best online casinos in Greece, you’ll be expected to divulge some of your personal and banking details.
At a licensed casino, this is a perfectly safe thing to do, but it’s also because of this that having good and responsive customer support is imperative.
All HGC casinos will be willing and happy to help, and we only list casinos that will reply promptly and that give you plenty of options on how to get in touch with them, including via live chat, email, and sometimes even telephone.
Any licensed casino online in Greece will ensure that players are protected on all fronts. That includes making sure that you have access to responsible gambling tools, like the ability to set deposit and spending limits, take time-outs, self-exclude for definite or indefinite periods of time, and so on.
- Does Greece Have a Maximum Bet Limit?
Up until recently, Greece online casinos had to contend with a €2 maximum bet limit. As of May 2022, the €2 limit has been removed, and increased to €20. This means Greek online gamblers are more on par with the rest of the European counterparts, allowing for those looking for high stakes casinos and high roller bonuses to find something more in line with their tastes!
Help is on hand for Greek players who feel that gambling is not allowing them to live life to its fullest. Among these are the Addiction Treatment Centre of KETHEA, which you can call on 210 9215776.
How We Rate Our Best Online Casinos
Wondering how we put together our list of the best online casinos in Greece? Here’s what we took into consideration while doing so:
- Licence: If the casino doesn’t have the right licence – in this case, one from HGC – then we simply leave it out.
- Reputation: Should the casino have a lot of negative reviews by players, then we investigate the matter. If the casino doesn’t meet our standards, we do not include it in our list.
- Game Variety: An online casino needs to have plenty of games to be included in any of ours lists!
- Customer Support: We know it’s vital to have someone to speak to should anything go wrong. That’s why customer support is one of the top requirements for the best online casinos in Greece.
- Mobile Availability: With more and more players opting for mobile casinos in Greece and elsewhere, knowing the casino has an adaptive website or a mobile app is crucial.
- Security & Responsible Gambling: We believe that casinos should protect their players in every possible way. If the casino doesn’t do that, then it’s not even worth considering.
Games at Online Casino Greece
The best online casinos in Greece are jam-packed with real-money casino games. Indeed, you’ll probably have a hard time picking which one you’d like to play first!
Are Bitcoin Games Available at Online Casino Greece?
Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies are not yet regulated in Greece. Therefore, you’re not likely to find HGC-licensed casinos that accept cryptocurrencies as legal tender.
This in turn means that you are also highly unlikely to find any cryptocurrency games on the top online casinos in Greece.
If you are travelling to a country where the best crypto casinos are legal, then do feel free to check out our various cryptocurrency articles.
These are dedicated to the best Bitcoin poker sites, the best Bitcoin roulette casinos, the best Bitcoin blackjack online casinos, and the top Bitcoin slots, which come with Provably Fair software that guarantees fair and random results every time.
How to Play at Online Casinos Greece
Playing at an online casino in Greece is super straight-forward. Given you are at least 21 years old, all you need to do is follow these steps.
- Head to a Hellenic Gaming Commission casino from our list above.
- Read the terms and conditions for the website and for any bonuses they offer. If these aren’t available, contact customer support.
- Sign up and fill in the form. Here you will be asked for verification details and documents.
- Once your account has been created, you can then make your first deposit.
- That’s it! You can now claim your casino bonus and start playing at your chosen online casino in Greece.
Bonuses at the Best Online Casinos in Greece
As you can see from our list above, the best online casinos in Greece offer players some exceptional bonuses. Below, we explain what the most popular bonus types are.
Online casino bonuses always come with terms & conditions that can include wagering requirements, deadlines, and maximum cash-out amounts. It is important to always read these T&Cs before you sign up for a bonus.
Payment Methods at Online Casinos Greece
To start playing at any of the top casino sites, you’ll need an accepted payment method. This will be used for both deposits and withdrawals, so choosing the right one is an important step. Here’s what’s accepted at online casinos in Greece.
Greek citizens who win at games of chance are expected to declare their winnings and to pay taxes on them. The rates are set at 15% for any sum between €100 and €500, and at 20% for sums of €500.01 and over. Anything below €100 isn’t taxed.
Land-Based Casinos in Greece
There are seven working brick-and-mortar casinos for you to choose from. These can be found in Athens, Hermoupolis, Loutraki, Patras, Rhodes, Thessaloniki, and Corfu.
Locals and foreigners can enter these establishments given they are 21 years old and smartly dressed.
Online Casino Greece – Final Thoughts
Although Greece has changed its stance on online casinos many times over the past three decades, the world of online casinos in Greece today is a vibrant one – and we expect it to get better as time goes by.
Our only advice is to always play at a legal and licensed casino to keep yourself safe. Other than that, enjoy!
Online Casino Greece FAQs
Check out our list above for the best Hellenic Gaming Commission-licensed casinos that Greek players can legally play at.
The legal gambling age in Greece is 21. This is true both for online casino Greece and for land-based gambling establishments.
Not much! Simply fill out the sign-up form, provide your KYC details, and verify your account. All this should take just a couple of minutes. We have a full step-by-step guide above.
Winnings on games of chance of between €100 and €500 are charged at a rate of 15%, while anything above is charged at a rate of 20%. Anything below €100 is not taxed.
If the casino is licensed by the Hellenic Gaming Commission, then you can rest assured that it’s legitimate, safe, and trustworthy.
For the time being, only casinos with an HGC licence are considered to be fully legal in Greece.
Yes, all of them have websites that can easily adapt to any-sized smart mobile device’s screen. This means that you can play wherever you are. Check out our best mobile casinos & mobile bonuses article for everything you need to know about gambling on the go.
Yes, a number of online casinos in Greece give you the chance to try out slots and table games for free. Some casinos also let you sit in live casino games. Check out the benefits of playing free-play casino games online here.
- UAE Online Casinos 2022: Your Full Guide The vibrant and luxurious cities of UAE, such as Dubai and Abu Dhabi, aren’t the Las Vegas of the Middle East, as gambling is completely banned. Despite this, many...
- The Top Casino Sites for 2022 – Top10-CasinoSites Top10-Casino Sites has been designed and built with one singular goal in mind: helping you find your next favourite online casino! Our articles and pages feature lists which are...
- The Best Romania Casino Sites, Games & Bonuses in 2022 Romania was one of the first European countries to legalise gambling. Today, both land-based and online gambling are permitted and regulated – here’s how to pick the best Romania...
Iggy Fenech is a well-known contributor to many local magazines. His career as a casino content writer spans a number of years and includes writing blog posts for the Malta iGaming Seminar 2014, content for the Malta Gaming Authority’s website, and SEO-enabled text for casino websites.