The Best Roulette Strategy That Works in 2023
The most successful Roulette strategy is a combination of a good knowledge of the game, trusted betting systems, and expert tips and tricks.
In this in-depth guide, we’ll go through the rules of the game, the best strategy online, and the best casinos where you could play. So sit back, relax and enjoy this guide to winning roulette strategy!
- Roulette Guide For Beginners
- Get Started to Play With Roulette Strategies
- What is the Most Successful Roulette Strategy?
- 7 Simple Strategies For The Roulette Winning Formula:
- How Do I Pick The Best Casino For My Roulette Strategy?
- Top 5 Roulette Myths Debunked:
- Roulette Strategy Conclusion
- Roulette Strategy FAQs
Roulette Guide For Beginners
It is highly unlikely that you can develop the best Roulette strategy without first knowing the game. This is true for any other game as well. In order to talk about what a Roulette winning formula looks like, we’ll start by explaining the game itself first.
History of Roulette
Roulette is a game that dates back to eighteenth-century France, with “Roulette” being a French word that translates to “little wheel”.
This is evident in the fact that a not-so-little wheel is the main feature of the game. After some legal pushback to casino gambling in nineteenth-century Europe, a family called the Blancs kept the game alive by taking their casino business to Monte Carlo, in Monaco.
This Mediterranean vacation destination became the hotspot for casino gambling among the world’s elites, and so the game with its several variations quickly spread to the rest of the world.
Over time, this spread caused different variations of roulette to develop organically. First you’ve got European and French Roulette, which use the single-zero wheel. Then, the double-zero wheel – although its French creators dropped it long ago, American Roulette still uses it today.
With the advent of the internet, real money Roulette quickly became available to play online at the first casino website, InterCasino. It remains one of the very most popular casino games, and you can even play live dealer Roulette games online as well.
Rules and Bet Types of Roulette
Roulette makes use of a wheel and a ball. The circular edge of the wheel is divided into pockets: between 37 and 39 different numbered pockets (depending on the variation you are playing).
These red and black coloured pockets are numbered 0 to 36 in French and European Roulette, with an extra 00 in American Roulette. However, 0 and 00 are coloured green on all Roulette wheels.
The dealer in Roulette is called a Croupier, and this is the individual that sets the game in play. The croupier spins the wheel in one direction, then throws the ball in the opposite direction inside a compartment on the outer edge of the wheel.
Eventually, the ball falls into one of the numbered pockets and all successful bets are rewarded according to the paytable.
The use of numbers and colours makes Roulette a unique game with several ways to bet. There are two main bet types:
- Inside Bets – These bets are placed on the individual numbers in the pockets, from 0 (and 00) to 36. You can play several combinations of these numbers depending on your chip’s placement on shared lines or corners between these numbers.
- Outside Bets – This is basically when you only bet on the numbers in groups based on their specific identities. These include black or red, odd or even, dozens and halves. The outside bets generally have smaller odds than inside bets, which can all be nullified if the ball falls on the 0 or 00 pockets. The outside bets have a designated table space where you can place your chip as well.
Roulette Odds & Payout
The odds of a win on any wager can easily be calculated when you consider the number of pockets you staked on compared to the total pockets.
For instance, if you play French Roulette and play a Straight Up on a single number, then the odds that you will win that wager is 1 out of 37 (or 36 to 1). This means that you will find slightly higher odds (less likely to win) in American Roulette than in French or European.
However, the payout is the same across both variations. Roulette payout is calculated by dividing 36 by the number of pockets you choose to wager on, and then subtracting the resulting amount by one. For example, the payouts for betting on two pockets is 17 to 1, and 1 to 1 for betting on all 18 even numbers.
The difference between the odds and the payout is called the casino’s house edge. This difference invariably means that the house edge on American Roulette is higher than in French or European Roulette. The house edge on European roulette is the best for players, at only 2.64%.
But if all this is too hard to remember, then you can simply look over the payout table at any Roulette game before you play.
Get Started to Play With Roulette Strategies
Now that you understand the game, there are some factors to consider before we dive into what makes the most profitable Roulette strategy. Learning and understanding these factors is what separates the best Roulette strategies from the ordinary.
Odds and Payouts
The odds and the payouts determine how much you stand to earn on any given bet. Some outcomes are more likely to occur than others, which is true across all variations.
However, the odds certainly differ between different variations. For this reason, you may consider having one strategy for American, and a different kind of European Roulette strategy, for example.
Knowledge of the odds and payouts of the game will also help you know the correct bet limits to set for a Roulette strategy that works.
The bet limits you set for yourself are important to determine how much you win with each bet. More importantly, it determines how long your bankroll strategy will last, and subsequently, how well you can implement the right Roulette strategy to win real money. This is key to helping you enjoy the game since Roulette must be enjoyed like all other games.
Choose your Casino
Our experts agree that choosing the right casino is key to the most successful roulette strategy. Smart gambling online requires that you take a lot of pieces into account, including licensing, banking, bonuses, fairness of games, customer support and more.
All these are very important to have a good time playing Roulette – you want to make sure that your game experience or winnings are not affected by avoidable issues. So when you’re playing free from said issues, you can truly monitor how effective your roulette strategy is. It is worth noting that some online casinos may not host your favourite variation, such as California Roulette.
Game Type – Online vs Live Dealer Roulette Strategy
Asides from the variation of the Roulette game that you decide to play, it also matters how you play it. There are many differences between land-based and online Roulette, and this is especially in the area of generating the winning pocket.
While land-based casinos use a physical wheel subject to the laws of physics, online games use a Random Number Generator (RNG) to digitally simulate a wheel.
However, fate has hit us with a plot twist! Technological advancement in the form of live streaming has taken us back to the future; to traditional methods again in the form of the little wheel.
With live dealer Roulette, you can interact with the croupier and other players through live chat, therefore you must beware of distractions. At the end of the day, a live casino Roulette strategy may not differ from the regular playing strategy since they both obey the game rules similarly.
What is the Most Successful Roulette Strategy?
Below are some of the top Roulette strategies. Depending on how you use them, any of them could become the most profitable Roulette strategy for you as they have been for other players in the past.
You should know that these betting systems are devised to show you how to place winning bets, as well as to recover losses.
But, at the end of the day, roulette is a game of chance. So no one can perfectly predict where the little ball is going to land – no matter how you spin it. That is why you must know that these betting strategies cannot guarantee victory, whether in the short or the long run.
1. Martingale Roulette Strategy
This is the most popular and most frequently used Roulette betting strategy. This system advises that you bet on outside bets only – specifically on bets with 2-to-1 odds like even or odd, red or black, etc.
In the Martingale Roulette strategy, you will double your initial bet on your first loss, and then double that with each consecutive loss until you win.
If you eventually win, you stand to make back all the losses with extra profit. This strategy would be flawless if two conditions were met:
- That there is no cap on possible winnings.
- That you have an infinite bankroll.
In Roulette, both conditions are not met as most people do not have an infinite bankroll and most casinos do place a limit on your possible wins.
With Roulette, the other half of the bet not covered is not the only thing to worry about – as the mischievous green 0 and 00 can take it all out in a beat. The best way to use the Martingale strategy is to play with a substantial bankroll and start betting at the lowest allowed amount.
2. Fisher Roulette Strategy
The Fisher Roulette strategy was developed by a certain Samuel Fisher over eighty years ago. It utilises outside bets; more specifically, even-type bets like red or black, evens or odds, etc.
The users of this strategy consider it to be the best outside Roulette strategy as it addresses some of the flaws in the Martingale betting system.
The Fisher strategy increases the bet size, but not in a manner as aggressive as the Martingale. Instead, it dictates that you triple the original bet after any four consecutive losses.
This is done until the wager is won and returns all your previous losses with some profit, while you return to the original bet size you began with.
If the wager does not win after four consecutive bets, you can triple it again until you win. This method keeps you farther from the table limit, while also sustaining your bankroll for longer.
3. D'Alembert Roulette Strategy
The D’Alembert is almost as popular as the Martingale, and it is most popular among those trying to play it safe. This involves increasing and decreasing your bet like other progressive bet strategies, but it occurs more rapidly with smaller amounts. The first thing to do in the D’Alembert method is to select a betting unit.
This system makes use of even-money bets, which makes for a smart strategy on black and red pockets. In this system, you increase your bet by a unit after each loss and decrease it by a unit after each win.
This helps to sustain your bankroll for long, and it keeps you from the wagering limit especially if you start with an affordable unit at first. D'Alembert's strategy does have a flaw, however, as your wins may not always sufficiently make up for losses.
4. Paroli Roulette Strategy
The Paroli strategy is also called the “Reverse Martingale”, and it is just as bold as the Martingale.
It literally requires you to reverse the steps in the Martingale technique by doubling when you win and halving when you lose. The idea is to shy away from losing streaks and take advantage of winning streaks when they come.
In practise, streaks may not be common but they do happen. Paroli is also not without flaws, and the most notable is that you need a winning streak to meet your goal. And when you do get that streak, it could also be interrupted by the casino's wagering limit if the streak is really long.
5. James Bond Roulette Strategy
This strategy was created by Ian Fleming, the creator of James Bond; hence the name. Unlike all the previous strategies, this is an inside Roulette strategy – some people consider it to be the best of its kind.
The James Bond involves taking the risk of systematically betting on all but the first dozen pockets on the wheel using £200.
The bankroll is separated into 20 units. Three bets of 1, 5, and 14 units are placed on the 0, 13 to 18, and 19 to 36 respectively. The potential winnings cover the bet, with the only danger being pockets 1 to 12. If the ball lands between pockets 1 to 12, you should double your bet size like in the Martingale system.
For example, your bankroll is divided into £140, £50, and £10. You bet £10 each on 19 to 36, 13 to 18 and then 0, respectively.
The implication is that this is a strategy created for European or French Roulette. If the bet does not fall within pockets 1 to 12, your three possible profits are £80, £50, and £150 in the respective order of the bets earlier described.
It does seem like an interesting idea, and it could win you some money. However, 1 to 12 is a big probability on the Roulette wheel, and you’d need a huge bankroll to accommodate losing streaks while waiting for winning streaks.
6. Fibonacci Roulette Strategy
This system is based on the Fibonacci sequence of numbers. This sequence is a list of numbers where each number is the sum of the previous two; for example: 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34 etc. The Fibonacci Roulette strategy uses this sequence to bet on even-money outside bets.
It is used in such a way that when you get a win, you should move back down two numbers in the Fibonacci sequence.
For instance, if you play five rounds and win on the fifth round which is five units, you should move back down two numbers and wager with 2 units on your sixth bet. In another example, you can play 7 rounds until you win.
In this example, the seventh number in the sequence is 13. Since you won, your next bet will drop from 13 units to the fifth number in the sequence which is 5 units of your initial bet size.
The Fibonacci strategy can net you more profits on a win than the Martingale strategy, but it faces the exact same issues of betting limits and limited bankroll.
7. Labouchere Roulette Strategy
This is a more complex even-money Roulette strategy, and that is why we have saved it for last. But it is easy to understand and implement if you pay attention to the method. It is also enjoyable once you understand it because of its flexibility. The Labouchere involves three steps:
- Write down any sequence of numbers. For example: 1, 2, 3, 4
- Your bet should be the sum of the first and last units in the sequence. From the earlier example, our bet will be 5 units.
- If you win, cross off both those numbers you’ve just added together. If you lose, you should add the number you just bet to the end of the sequence. From our earlier example:
If you are left with one number, you can keep betting with it, and if you lose again you could return the sequence by adding the number to 0.
This method is more flexible as you get to decide the sequence based on your bankroll. And you should put a lot of thought into it, preferably making the gap between units small. The strategy faces drawbacks like bet limits and a limited bankroll.
7 Simple Strategies For The Roulette Winning Formula:
You should think of roulette betting strategies as guides that will help you recover your losses with each win. The most successful strategy involves not just betting systems, but also other decisions that you make when gambling online.
These other decisions can help you grow as a punter and find the optimal playing style.
- Manage Your Bankroll: This is the first thing to consider, since the betting systems are entirely dependent on your bankroll.You must possess enough funds and employ a good bankroll management plan to play the Roulette strategy that works for you. However, your bankroll’s size should decide your betting strategy and vice versa.
- Start With Small Bets: Most of the Roulette strategies require you to implement bet increases over time. Some increments are more aggressive than others, but you must consider them all equally. The best way to make these betting strategies effective is by starting with the smallest possible bets permitted.
- Consider the Odds: This is also decided by most of the betting systems. The odds differ across all the bet types.It is usually wiser to place bets on pockets with lower odds, since they are a little more likely to win. Even-money bets have an almost 50% chance of occurring and so have the best odds on the table. Also, the odds differ between European and American Roulette. Your winning odds are higher in American Roulette with the addition of the green 00. This means that it is slightly safer to play European Roulette strategy than American Roulette.
However, if you choose to play American Roulette, you should have a relatively bigger bankroll, and use a less progressive betting system like D’Alembert.
- Practise Your Games: This is common to all games. You must first enjoy Roulette before you are able to win at it. And in the process, you can understand the dynamics of the game better. You can do this for free when you play the demo versions of your favourite games at one of our recommended online casinos. One of the most successful Roulette strategy reddit users came up with in a post is to watch the players that are winning. You can definitely take up important lessons from following the best users: study what numbers they bet on and how often, as well as how they manage their bankroll.
- Withdraw Your Winnings: It is not always possible to win a game in the long run. You should know when to stop playing your Roulette sessions. While there is no universal time or spin limit, however, it is more of an instinct. An instinct that is developed over time through constant practise, like on the free demo versions of your Roulette games. This helps you learn how to avoid chasing losses, or even how to accept winnings when you are ahead, and simply walk away.
- Place Small Bets on The Zeros: This is a principle unique to the James Bond strategy. However, it is useful for other successful Roulette strategies as well. Most other strategies are outside even-money bets with an almost 50% chance of winning. However, the 0 and 00 are a constant threat to any of those bets that you make. You can offset this by playing a small bet on the zeros – preferably the smallest bet you can afford.This is an insurance bet, and you should see it as such; the zeros are not an event that is likely to occur. And on the flip side, if it does occur, you are going to rake in some cool cash.
- Stick To One Betting System: This is important because it prevents you from wrecking your bankroll that you have set for a different strategy. You should decide what betting system you prefer after you have tested them in free Roulette practise sessions of demo games. This way, you can be sure of what you need so that when you play you won’t be disrupted by a losing streak. You should play a single strategy throughout a playing session if you can manage it. Once you start playing for real money, not forget to gather your winnings when you are ahead.
How Do I Pick The Best Casino For My Roulette Strategy?
The right casino is just as important as the betting strategy that you employ to play Roulette. In fact, even the best betting strategy would not be ideal in a bad casino. By selecting good casinos like the ones that we have recommended, you’re opting to play Roulette based on the highest industry standards.
Security and Licence
You want to play at a secure casino to protect your money and personal info, as well as a legal casino that abides by the authorities.
You can avoid both when you play at a secure casino that is licensed by the appropriate gambling authority like the UK Gambling Commission, the Government of Curacao, the Malta Gaming Authority, the Government of Gibraltar, etc.
Licenses from these types of regulatory bodies mean that your casino of choice is fitted with the right technology to protect its users from hackers. It also means that the casino is legitimate, honest and committed to paying out customers.
Promotions & Bonuses
Before you select an online casino for playing Roulette, you should look over their casino bonuses and promotions thoroughly. The casino must have good bonus offers and loyalty programs, but more importantly, these promotions must be useful.
What this means is that the bonus offer must be available to play on Roulette, and that Roulette also contributes significantly to the wagering requirements.
Welcome casino bonuses, such as the deposit bonus and no deposit bonus – as well as long-term rewards like the reload bonus and VIP/highroller bonus – all help expand bankroll so that you can spin the roulette wheel for longer.
You can determine the usefulness of all these by checking the terms and conditions for your specific offer, as well as reading over general terms and conditions.
Fairness (RTP & RNG)
This is important with games like online Roulette. Unlike land-based and live dealer Roulette, online Roulette does not use mechanical means to generate results. It uses a Random Number Generator (RNG) which is a program that generates results randomly.
The only way that you can confirm that your casino of choice is using this fair system is if they are certified by a regular licensing body or an independent casino auditor like eCogra, iTech Labs and GLI.
These regulatory bodies run tests to check the validity of the gaming programs as well as confirm the Return-to-Player (RTP) of the game.
The RNG and RTP are good measures of fairness and win potential, just like with slot volatility and variance. For that reason, verification from an independent auditor is a sign of fair games in a casino.
At the end of the day, when you have hopefully won, you’ll need a safe way to access your newfound funds. In addition to being secure and reliable, casino payment methods should fast and carry low fees.
Top banking methods include:
- Casino e-wallets like PayPal, Skrill and NETELLER;
- Cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin, Ethereum, and Litecoin (used in crypto casinos);
- Debit cards like Mastercard, Maestro and Visa, as well as credit cards;
- Wire transfers as well as technologies like Trustly, which is specially made for casinos.
Customer support is necessary so that you can relay any of your complaints to the right people. 24/7 live chat sections are far and away the best customer support channels.
However, FAQs, phone number, and email are also nice alternatives for good customer support in a casino. Blogs or community forums – like the most successful roulette strategy on reddit – are also welcome additions as they help you get tips from fellow players like yourself.
Top 5 Roulette Myths Debunked:
These are five of the most common misconceptions about the game of Roulette, and can harm an otherwise strong Roulette strategy. Here’s a quick explanation that debunks these five myths, so that you can have the most positive experience possible.
- Is Online Roulette Rigged?: No, this is false when you play at a proper casino like the ones in our recommended casinos list. They are all licensed and tested for their RNG and RTP to prove fairness in all their games, including Roulette. The large number of licensed casinos available today go to great lengths to prove this statement to be a myth.
- You Can Predict Future Results Based on Previous Spins: This is called the “Gambler's Fallacy”, and is simply untrue. The odds for every single pocket remain the same after every spin. Therefore, the odds for any outcome that you place a wager on is going to be the same each time that the Roulette wheel is spun.
- Progressive Betting is the Secret to Winning: This is also false, as we have explained in the Martingale strategy. Roulette is essentially a game of chance, and a streak of losing bets can cripple your bankroll very quickly. This is especially true if you increase the bet values every time you lose.
- Red and Black Bets Balance Out in the Long Run: This is a different form of the same Gambler’s Fallacy. It assumes that if you have more black bets at the beginning of the game, you will expect to have more red bets toward the end of the game. By this logic, a strategy of black and red bets would want them to balance out in the long term. This is not a safe assumption for your Roulette strategy, even though it may seem statistically sound. Firstly, “long term” in this case cannot be defined consistently, as it often takes tens of thousands of spins to arrive at statistical averages. So, it can be dangerous to decide outright to stop betting on one colour and start betting on the other. Also, every spin is independent of the past ones, so this belief is not the best to play with.
- Monitor the Croupier: This is borderline superstition, or paranoia. It is also based on the assumption that the game is rigged or somehow controlled by the casino, which we’ve demonstrated is false. Looking at the dealer’s body movements will not achieve anything since they cannot control the outcome of each spin of the little wheel.
Roulette Strategy Conclusion
Roulette is a unique and elegantly simple casino table game, using nothing more than coloured, numbered pockets along a little wheel.
Its game features make it an exciting pastime for countless players around the world, offering us so many ways to bet and win. Just keep in mind that it is also entirely based on chance, and thus cannot be predicted.
However, you can make the best of the game by developing a successful Roulette strategy: play with a healthy bankroll, make smart bets and always practise safe gambling (like withdrawing your winnings while you are ahead).
No amount of strategising or preparation can guarantee you a Roulette strategy to win, so it’s important to simply focus on the thrills of playing for fun. Visit any of our recommended top casinos to start playing Roulette variations for free or for real money today.
Roulette Strategy FAQs
Yes, you can win real money playing roulette online. There is no perfect strategy that will always win, but employing the most favourable betting methods and techniques is the first step towards long term winnings from playing Roulette.
The even-money odds are the best bet types when you consider their probability of occurring. However, the inside bets have bigger payouts and you can play several options with a few chips and win. It really depends on your playing style.
Absolutely. Most of the Roulette strategies are hinged on your bankroll as the foundation. They explain how many units and factors to bet by depending on wins or losses.
Martingale, Fibonacci, Fisher and other Roulette strategies are very useful. However, each is different and as some are much more progressive than others. Progressive roulette strategies require larger bankrolls and a bolder betting style. The best strategy depends on your bankroll and your taste.
Roulette is a game of luck at the end of the day. However, knowledge of the game and betting systems can help you better understand the mechanics at work and how to potentially profit from them.
The Fisher Roulette strategy is a useful betting strategy. However, it is not flawless as it cannot predict any series of events in the game just like all the other strategies.
No, neither is easier. The outcomes of spins in both are equally random. We recommend live dealer roulette for the entertainment value, since it more closely replicates the real thing.
Yes, all forms of Roulette at legitimate casinos meet the standards of a fair game. It is important that you play at a verifiably licensed casino to ensure fairness and randomness of the little wheel.
European Roulette is considered a favourite amongst many players because of its relatively low odds (higher probability of winning). However, each variation has its unique elements, so people may also prefer other versions.
Yes, it definitely can. It’s true that there may be no pattern to the outcome of results; however, these being strategies are devised to help you perform better over time. Most strategies are devised to help you cover previous losses with big wins.