A Rundown of The Best Hungary Online Casinos & Slots in 2023
Although the gambling market in Hungary has been under a state monopoly for most of its existence, 2023 is set to change all of that. With an open and regularised gaming scene, Hungarians have access to some of the best online casinos. Just read on to find out more!
- Top Hungary Online Casinos You Need To Check Out in 2023
- Is Online Gambling Legal in Hungary?
- How To Choose Hungary Online Casinos
- Payment Methods at Hungary Online Casinos
- Bonuses You Can Claim at Hungary Online Casinos
- How to Sign Up To a Hungary Online Casino
- Crazy Stats about Hungary Online Casino
- Land-Based Casinos in Hungary
- The Future of Online Gambling in Hungary
- Hungary Online Casinos FAQs
Top Hungary Online Casinos You Need To Check Out in 2023
- Accepts players from Hungary
- Play with Hungarian Forints
- 2,000 free spins pot waiting to be won
Is Online Gambling Legal in Hungary?
Hungary gambling law stipulates that both land-based and online gambling are allowed in the country. This means players can legally participate in a wide range of casino games (slot machines, blackjack, lottery, poker) and sports betting.
However, it is worth mentioning that this came after years of criticism from the European Union for Hungary’s monopolistic practices in the gaming sector.
The country had effectively blocked non-national online casino sites from being able to operate legally within its borders, which goes against European law common to all member states.
This led to the official legalisation of online casinos in 2013. Up until then, only land-based establishments could be legally visited by residents and tourists.
Hungary Online Casinos Legal Landscape
According to current legislation, certain types of gambling, such as lottery, online sports betting, online bingo and online horse racing are still under a monopoly by two state operators: Szerencsejáték Zrt and Nemzeti Lóversenyfogadást-szervezőKft, respectively.
Similar restrictions are placed on online casino games – they can only be offered by operators who already hold a licence from the country’s gambling regulator and run land-based casinos in Hungary.
According to a TRIS notification addressed to the European Commission, Hungary may start liberalising its online sports betting market first, which would end the current state monopoly.
How To Choose Hungary Online Casinos
Although Hungary is taking small steps towards opening its market to private companies, currently, the only sector that is not under monopoly is online casinos.
Some operators avoid the country due to its high licensing costs and taxes, whilst others, such as Unibet, Energy Casino and 888 thrive here – they not only accept Hungarian residents, but many also offer bonuses in HUF and native language support.
The Hungarian government is constantly cracking down on unlicensed remote gambling platforms advertising their services to residents illegally. Internet service providers will also block access to discourage unlawful gambling.
Payment Methods at Hungary Online Casinos
The vast majority of Hungary online casinos offer flexible deposit and withdrawal options. Because of that, you can get funds into your account in a secure manner and get access to your winnings in no time, even from your phone or tablet.
As a cherry on the cake, many online casinos in Hungary accept direct transfers in Hungarian Forint, alongside the usual EUR or USD, meaning any exchange fees can be avoided.
Hungary is one of the most crypto-friendly countries out there, and even created its own digital currency Korona! Although Korona’s ICO has been terminated due to lack of funding, it was still a major breakthrough for a European nation. Korona used to run on the Lightning Network, same as Bitcoin – it had the hallmarks of a real competitor to the King of all crypto!
Bonuses You Can Claim at Hungary Online Casinos
Gambling platforms are constantly one-upping each other to acquire as many customers as possible and keep existing ones happy. Hungary online casinos are no exception – they give back to the players via promotions, slots tournaments, giveaways and, of course, casino bonuses, such as:
- No Deposit Casino Bonuses – We all like to receive free things and this is exactly what this offer aims to do: reward you for signing up. Once your account is created and you upload your documents for verification, all you have to do is wait for them to get approved. The casino will then offer you free spins or a bonus sum to use on your favourite games, with no charge whatsoever!
- Welcome Bonuses – They are also designed for new players and can only be claimed once. However, you can think of welcome bonuses as a broad term, which can refer to any sign-up offer, whether that’s a match deposit bonus or a first deposit bonus. Plenty of Hungary online casinos, such as 22Bet and Unibet will double your initial deposit and even give you the bonus amount in HUF!
- Reload Bonuses – Mostly aimed at existing players, you can think of them as additional rewards on top of your second and third deposits, consisting of 50%-75% bonuses added to your balance. For example, popular slot sites in Hungary, such as EnergyCasino offer a reload bonus of 50% every week!
- Free Spin Bonuses – Also known as free games or extra spins, these bonuses are provided on online slots only and often come with wagering requirements. Many Hungary online casinos will offer free spins with your first deposit, but you can also receive them as a special gift (e.g. on Easter, your birthday).
- Cashback Bonuses – Cashback is a fantastic offer to go for, as it’s commonly advertised on a wide range of gambling platforms (slots sites in Hungary, VIP casinos, etc.). Essentially, the goal of this bonus is to attract new players and reward them for their activity. You receive a set percentage of your net losses at casino games back in the form of bonus money (between 5-25%). Cashback can be granted at both online slots and live dealer games. Some gambling platforms even offer it weekly!
Games & Software Providers at Hungary Online Casinos
If you’re Hungarian but never stepped foot in a virtual casino before, don’t worry, we’re here to give you all the info you need!
From our research, we’ve found that some Hungary online casinos host up to 7,000 games total – pretty impressive, right?
Of course, since Hungarian players have a clear preference for online slots, blackjack and poker, these games will take up most of the offer, followed by niche titles, such as live casino game shows.
When it comes to the software providers and developers behind these games, you’re likely to find leading international studios.
Slot games are universally popular across the world, from Las Vegas to Macau – naturally, they are also found in abundance on Hungarian gambling sites and are favoured by most locals.
You can enjoy exclusive slots (for example on 888 and Unibet), multiline slots, video slots with immersive mechanics and themes (Egypt, Aztec civilizations), jackpot slots and even those Vegas-style spinning wonders with fruits, jokers and sevens!
The best platforms accepting Hungarian players offer between 500-7,000 slots to choose from, with Videoslots having the largest library.
Table & Card Games
Although table and card games tend to enjoy lesser popularity and attract experienced players more than newbies, in Hungary, gamblers love their blackjack and poker like no one else!
These games are often sought out by locals at land-based casinos as well, and for good reason! They offer great payout rates and come in thousands of variations, such as Multihand Blackjack Pro, European Blackjack or Casino Hold’em.
They attract thousands of players due to how versatile they are, the sheer adrenaline of the gameplay and the wide range of versions available, such as Auto Roulette, Speed Roulette, Lightning Blackjack, Texas Hold’em or VIP Blackjack.
The software is usually supplied by either Evolution Gaming or Pragmatic Play, ensuring that Hungarian players get to enjoy crisp streaming with no delays or interruptions, multiple betting options and customisable camera angles.
One small downside worth mentioning is that it’s rather rare to find live dealers that speak Hungarian – rather, most of them will interact with players and answer questions in English.
How to Sign Up To a Hungary Online Casino
If you want to get started with online gambling in Hungary, the best news is that the registration process is intuitive, easy and doesn’t take more than 5 minutes.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Find the right Hungarian online casino for you (look over our table for inspiration)
- Access the casino homepage and click on the ”Register” button
- You’ll be prompted to complete a form with your data (name, address, password)
- Confirm your personal details via email or SMS
- Send copies of your documents for the KYC (Know Your Customer) checks
- Wait for approval from the customer support team
- Congrats – now you can spin the reels or shuffle those cards!
Some Hungary online casinos will also include a promo code field in their sign-up form if they offer bonuses that require a special code to be activated.
Don’t forget to always read terms & conditions carefully and understand wagering requirements before claiming any casino offer!
Crazy Stats about Hungary Online Casino
Although the Hungarian online gambling market is still in its growth stage, it has already achieved quite a lot!
Here are the most impressive stats we’ve come across:
- According to research by Statista, casino gaming revenue in Hungary increased from €22 million to a whopping €107 million between 2010-2017.
- Hungarian players are showing a clear preference for mobile gambling and slot machines. In 2021, the top grossing mobile gaming apps were Gaminator Casino Slots – Play Slot Machines 777 and Brawl Stars.
Land-Based Casinos in Hungary
Before 2013, when the government legalised online casinos, the only way Hungarians could gamble was in land-based establishments.
Even after 2013, the vast majority of brick-and-mortar casinos are owned by a state company, Szerencsejáték Zrt, which manages betting shops, horse racing and scratch cards, among others.
Hungary currently houses 11 land-based casinos. The most popular one – Las Vegas Casino – is coincidentally the oldest one as well , which operated for 22+ years without interruption.
Luxurious casinos can mostly be found in Budapest and Debrecen, for example Tropicana Casino, Sofitel Budapest and Grand Casino Debrecen.
All of these establishments host hundreds of slot machines, roulette tables and card games, such as Texas Hold’em poker or blackjack. They are open to locals, tourists and temporary residents, but gamblers need to register on their first visit and provide ID.
However, although these games are legal in brick-and-mortar casinos, slot machines have been banned from pubs and slot halls since 2012.
Famous Hungarian Gamblers
One of the most successful Hungarian gamblers of all time is Andras Koroknai, a professional poker player from Debrecen. Throughout his career, he has garnered an impressive track record and earned $3,612,694 from live poker tournaments.
His biggest accomplishment was grabbing 1st place in the No Limit Hold’em Championship Event from 2010, earning a live win of $1,788,040, but he also participated in other prestigious live poker competitions, such as WSOP (World Series of Poker).
He currently ranks the 5th on Hungary’s all-time money list, alongside other esteemed poker players, such as Andras Nemeth and Marton Czuczor.
The Future of Online Gambling in Hungary
In the past, Hungary’s strict regulatory requirements for the iGaming industry were heavily criticised by the European Union. Only land-based casino operators could apply for an online gambling licence, which went against the EU rules regarding freedom of providing goods and services.
Luckily, starting February 2022, new legislation is being proposed to officially end the monopoly and turn Hungary into an attractive destination for offshore gambling companies.
The demand is clearly there and Hungary has the potential to become a major player on the Central European market. Until then, you can find the best Hungary online casinos right here!
Hungary Online Casinos FAQs
Yes, online gambling activities are legal in Hungary and regulated by the Gambling Supervisory Authority (SZTFH). Online casino games can only be offered by companies that run land-based operations in the country.
Yes, there are 11 land-based casinos in Hungary, most of them located in Budapest. State-owned company, Szerencsejáték Zrt, is the largest gambling services provider in the country and has exclusive rights on some casino games (prize draw tickets, lottery, sports bets etc.).
Yes, residents are legally allowed to enter land-based casinos and participate in real-money games, as long as they are at least 18 years of age and present a Hungarian ID/passport. Similar age restrictions apply on Hungary online casinos.
If residents participated in gambling activities organised by licensed operators, they don’t owe any taxes on their winnings.