The Best Romania Casino Sites, Games & Bonuses in 2022
Romania was one of the first European countries to legalise gambling. Today, both land-based and online gambling are permitted and regulated – here’s how to pick the best Romania online casino in 2022!
- Top Romanian Casino Sites in 2022
- All You Need To Know about Online Casinos in Romania
- Is Online Gambling Legal in Romania?
- Casino Licences for Romanian Operators
- How To Choose the Best Online Casinos in Romania
- Licensing & Security for a Romania Online Casino
- Mobile Optimisation at Romanian Online Casinos
- Payment Methods at Romania Online Casino
- Online Casino Bonuses for Players in Romania
- Games and Software Providers at Romanian Online Casino Sites
- Signing Up To an Online Casino in Romania
- Land-Based Romanian Casinos
- The Future of Romania Online Casino Sites
- Romania Online Casino FAQs
Top Romanian Casino Sites in 2022
5000 RON On First 5 Deposits + 650 Free Spins
Netbet Casino Review Play
Doubled First Deposit Up To 1500 RON + 150 Free Spins
PokerStars Casino Review Play
100% Up To 1000 RON on First Deposit +150 Free Spins
Winmasters Casino Play
100% Up To 500 RON on First Deposit
100% Up To 800 RON On First Deposit
Play Fortuna Play
100% Bonus Up To 1500 RON + 200 Free Spins + 5 Free Jackpot Poker Tokens
Vlad Cazino Play
110 No Deposit Free Spins
Princess Casino Play
20 Free Spins, No Deposit
Admiral Casino Review Play
All You Need To Know about Online Casinos in Romania
Romania is home to one of the biggest gambling markets in Eastern Europe – as such, aside from Romanian casinos, online casinos in Bulgaria, online casinos in Croatia, Poland online casinos and online casinos in Greece are equally prevalent on this side of the continent.
In terms of attitudes towards gambling, Romania clearly distinguishes itself in Eastern Europe. The country is known to be a hub and a favoured destination for local and offshore gambling operators.
Is Online Gambling Legal in Romania?
Romania first legalised gambling activities in 1906, with the creation of the National Romanian Lottery. However, a few decades later, during the country’s communist regime, free speech was heavily censored and all forms of gambling were strictly prohibited.
Luckily, after the fall of the Soviet Union and the installation of a democratic government in the 1990s, in-person gambling was made legal again and the country even opened its first casino in 1991.
Nowadays, both land-based and online gambling are legal in Romania, with the latter being regulated by the Emergency Government Ordinance No. 77/2009.
The official regulatory body in the country is The Romanian National Office for Gambling (“Oficiul Național pentru Jocuri de Noroc” or ONJN).
It is in charge of issuing licences for qualifying operators and supervising the industry. The Ministry of Finance tracks and receives revenue from physical establishments and virtual gaming sites.
Romanian Law distinguishes between different types of gambling, each requiring a particular licence type. These are:
- Land-based betting
- Slot machines
- Online gambling
Lotteries are under a legal monopoly in the country, belonging to the National Romanian Lottery. Foreign operators whose gaming servers are not located in Romania need to establish mirror servers within the country if they want to target Romanian players.
This means reporting information about their activity to ONJN and paying all relevant taxes to the state budget. There are restrictions imposed on gambling advertising, too – online casino bonuses can only be advertised on the operator’s website, on class II licensed affiliate websites or via messages to registered players.
Casino Licences for Romanian Operators
The country regulator distinguishes between 3 classes of gambling licences for both foreign and local operators:
- Class I – Only companies based in the EU, EEA or the Swiss Confederation can apply for it. The licence is issued for 10 years.
- Class II – Required for B2B (Business to Business) providers of gambling products and services, such as distributors of gaming components, software suppliers, payment systems and so on.
- Class III – Only granted to the National Romanian Lottery, which has a monopoly on all lottery services in the country.
How To Choose the Best Online Casinos in Romania
There are a few criteria that your Romania online casino of choice must absolutely meet so you can enjoy the best experience in:
- Data protection – A hallmark of a top online casino in Romania is that it upholds high personal data protection and security standards, such as SSL encryption, firewalls installed on the platform, data confidentiality agreements, per European GDPR requirements, and, of course, responsible gambling practices.
- Safe payment methods – You know you’ve chosen a great Romania online casino when they integrate an array of flexible payment options for deposits and withdrawals, such as debit and credit cards, bank transfers or e-wallets.
- Responsive customer support – Before you play at any online casino in Romania, check to see if your chosen platform provides 24/7 customer support. Some operators are known for their outstanding assistance and have even received notable awards (e.g. NetBet was granted the ”Best Customer Support Award” in 2015 by Casino Magazine).
- Transparent bonus terms –Because gambling in Romania is strictly regulated, the best online casinos will provide transparent and fair bonus terms across all promotions.
- Varied games – Luckily, your average Romania online casino will feature a wide selection of games to choose from, such as online slots, lottery games, live casino, and custom selections.
- Certified casino software – Local regulations stipulate that each Romanian online casino site applying for a licence must use certified gambling systems and software from specialised companies which hold a class II licence.
Licensing & Security for a Romania Online Casino
When browsing through a list of online casinos in Romania, don’t forget to check if they’re licensed by ONJN (this information is typically displayed in the footer section of the homepage), what licence type they hold, over what period of time and whether it’s in good standing or not.
Our team have already selected the very best legal and secure platforms for you in our table above, so you can find the right Romania online casino for your needs.
Alternatively, you can use ONJN’s public database to guide you in making the right choice – they have published a list of blacklisted casinos to steer clear of, as well as approved operators that are safe to register on.
Mobile Optimisation at Romanian Online Casinos
If you prefer playing on the go, we have fantastic news to report. The average Romania online casino caters to their mobile users in 2022 in two different ways:
Payment Methods at Romania Online Casino
As a resident or even occasional tourist, benefiting from flexible, fast and safe payment methods at a Romania online casino is paramount. Thankfully, there are quite a few you can go for, the most widespread being:
Online Casino Bonuses for Players in Romania
The average Romania online casino makes bonuses and promotions a very important part of their overall marketing strategy. That is because competition is rampant between operators, and some bonuses are more appreciated than others. Player forums are an active place of discussion and debate on various offers.
As such, operators tend to respond and adapt – here are the most common bonuses you can find at Romanian online casinos in 2022:
- No deposit bonuses – These are, without a doubt, the number one offer for Romanian players. Usually, they consist of free spins or a small amount of bonus money given upfront to new players (e.g. 30 RON, 50 RON).
All you need to do is verify your identity and you’ll get access to this offer. Promo codes are extensively used, as well, particularly by Maxbet and NetBet.
- Matched deposit bonuses – These offers can be found at almost every Romania online casino, with most operators doubling your first deposit up to a maximum sum and adding other freebies on top, such as free spins or a cashback bonus.
Do keep in mind that you’ll rarely find 200%, 300% or 400% matched deposit bonuses. On the bright side, you’ll easily find a 100% deposit bonus at most Romanian casinos.
- Free spins – Because the core audience of Romanian casinos is slot players, free spins are granted very frequently, as part of a first deposit or even on a daily basis. Typically, they are offered at popular online slots in the country, such as Shining Crown, Burning Hot or Book of Ra Deluxe.
- Online loyalty bonus – Active and existing players are not neglected, either, with many high-quality Romania online casino sites making efforts to engage them with tailored offers, giveaways or exclusive facilities. The most notable loyalty programs in the country are NetBet’s Players Club and 888casino’s VIP club.
Games and Software Providers at Romanian Online Casino Sites
As a general principle, you can expect to find great variety on most Romania online casino sites. Verified software that uses RNG technology is also present, per the national regulations.
A typical games catalogue contains between 100-4000 titles, usually made up of various types of slots, along with video poker, international lottery, esports, bingo, poker and live casino.
You can find anywhere between 10-50 software providers at Romanian online casinos. NOVOMATIC casino slots, Microgaming games, Endorphina slots, NetEnt casinos, iSoftBet casinos, Playtech games and Pragmatic Play slots are all very easy to come by in the country.
Signing Up To an Online Casino in Romania
If you’re ready to dominate that poker room or watch those fruity symbols spin, here’s how to register at a Romania online casino in just 5 minutes:
- Find the right Romanian casino for you (when in doubt, check our suggestions above).
- Access the registration option (usually located on the right-side corner of the homepage).
- Insert your personal details (usually a 3-step sign-up form that includes personal data, account data, etc.)
- Confirm your identity (upload copies of your ID and a utility bill).
- Wait for confirmation via e-mail or an SMS text.
- Start playing the best Romanian online casino games!
Land-Based Romanian Casinos
Romania houses 20 land-based casinos in total, which are open to residents and tourists alike, provided that they show ID at the entrance to prove they are of legal gambling age.
The country is mostly home to small, street-side gambling venues (sports-betting agencies and gaming rooms), but there are a few famous land-based casinos as well, known for their rich history, architecture and luxury.
Famous Casinos in Romania
Some of the most famous casinos in Romania are located in the capital, Bucharest, and are also historical monuments, such as Palace Casino Bucharest, Grand Casino Romania or Fortuna Palace.
Many are open 24/7, offer an abundance of gaming terminals from EGT or Casino Technology, alongside poker, blackjack and roulette. There are private, VIP-only rooms provided as well, with special amenities and high table limits.
Although Constanța Casino is no longer in use as a gambling establishment, it’s still a notable tourist attraction, designated a historic monument by the Romanian Ministry of Culture and Natural Patrimony.
Sinaia Casino is another honourable mention, built by king Carol I of Romania; although it stopped offering gambling services after the communist takeover in the 1940s, it still functions as an international conference center today.
The Future of Romania Online Casino Sites
Romania is not just home to the legend of Dracula and known for its traditional cuisine and Black Sea tourist attractions – it is also one of the first European countries to create a legal landscape for all things gambling.
As such, it is very easy to assume this positive trend will continue – the country’s clear regulations and taxation policies encourage new casinos to enter the market and get licensed every year.
Romania Online Casino FAQs
High-ranking Romanian online casinos include the likes of Superbet, Betano, Unibet, Casa Pariurilor and 888casino, among others.
Yes, both land-based and online gambling are legal in Romania. They are regulated by The Romanian National Office for Gambling and The Ministry of Finance, respectively.
Romania houses 20 land-based casinos, many of which are considered local landmarks. Sports-betting agencies and slot machine rooms are also scattered around every major city (Bucharest, Brașov, Cluj or Timișoara), typically on the main boulevards for easy access.
Yes. Residents are legally allowed to access online casino games over the internet, if they are 18 years of age and choose licensed operators.
Yes. Casino winnings in Romania are subject to income tax and percentages range between 1% to 25%. Taxes are automatically withheld by the casino operator on every withdrawal and paid to the state budget.
The most played casino games in Romania are slot machines, both in-person and online, with a clear preference for classic, Vegas-style titles from EGT and NOVOMATIC. Lottery and sports-betting follow suit in popularity.
The most frequent offers you can encounter at a Romania online casino are no deposit bonuses, free spins and matched deposit bonuses.
Yes, provided that you choose an operator with a good-standing licence from the National Regulator (ONJN).
- Best Qiwi Casinos and Bonuses in 2022 Qiwi is an online payment service established in Moscow, Russia in 2008. The company has its headquarters in Cyprus, with its main clients being Eastern Countries such as Russia,...
- Casinos by Country – Explore The Best Casino Sites in Your Region For 2022 Gambling transcends all borders in [getYear], with your favourite casino games being accessible from anywhere now that almost everyone has a computer or mobile device. Discover our guide to...
- Top-Notch Live Dealer Blackjack Casinos and Games in 2022 Live dealer blackjack is a blackjack game organised at a physical location, with a real-life croupier with whom players can interact virtually. The game is transmitted via a live...
I’ve been writing for the online casino industry for over 2 years now. During this time, I became passionate about player-centric content, especially slot and brand reviews.