Play Online Roulette for Real Money – The Only Guide You Need in 2022
The world’s most popular table game, real-money roulette is a staple at online casinos today! You can play it for free, against the house or with a live dealer – pretty exciting, right? Read on for the only roulette guide you need to get that winning spin in 2022!
- Top 10 Real Money Roulette Sites To Get that Wheel Spinning in 2022
- What Is Roulette?
- How To Play Roulette – Basic Rules & Principles
- The Most Popular Types of Roulette
- Online Roulette vs Live Dealer Roulette – What Are the Differences?
- The Most Popular Modern Roulette Variants
- The Best Real-Money Roulette Strategies
- How We Chose the Best Real Money Roulette Sites
- Real-Money Roulette Casino Bonuses
- The Most Popular Real-Money Roulette Software Providers
- Payment Methods at Real-Money Roulette Tables
- Why Play Real-Money Roulette?
- Mobile Optimisation at Real-Money Roulette Sites
- Real Money Roulette vs Free Roulette
- Best Alternatives to Real-Money Roulette
- Real-Money Roulette – Summary
Top 10 Real Money Roulette Sites To Get that Wheel Spinning in 2022
100% Up To €/$100 + 100 Free SpinsPlay * more terms & conditions apply
100% up to €/$200 + 200 free spinsPlay * more terms & conditions apply
100% Welcome Bonus Up To €200Play * more terms & conditions apply
100% Up To $100 Or 1.5 BTC+ 100 Free SpinsPlay * more terms & conditions apply
€2,000 + 200 free spinsPlay * more terms & conditions apply
100% Bonus Up To €500 + 50 Free SpinsPlay * more terms & conditions apply
Deposit $400, Play With $800+ 180 Free SpinsPlay * more terms & conditions apply
100% Up To €500 + 50 Free SpinsPlay * more terms & conditions apply
100% Bonus Up To €500 + 50 Free SpinsPlay * more terms & conditions apply
100% Bonus Up To $200 + 100 Free SpinsPlay * more terms & conditions apply
What Is Roulette?
Roulette is by far the most well-known table game and also one of the oldest casino games around, alongside dice, keno and blackjack.
Roulette’s name derives from the French word for “little wheel”, and the first mentions of it date all the way back to the 17th century.
As it purely relies on chance, roulette is a game accessible to anyone – you don’t need to learn any complicated or in-depth strategies to play it.
Roulette is available in a variety of different ways – for free, in demo version, online against computer software (or the house) and, the most exciting of all, live against a real-life croupier!
How Does Roulette Work?
Roulette is played with a revolving wheel and a small, white ball placed inside, sometimes known as the ‘pill’.
The wheel has numbered slots from 1 to 36, alongside one or two slots for 0, depending on which roulette version you’re playing (American or European). The numbered slots are red/black, whilst the zero slots are green.
Once the gaming session starts, players gather around the table to place their bets. Their goal is to guess where the white ball will land after the roulette wheel stops spinning.
Multiple bet types are possible – e.g. on a single number, on multiple numbers, on colours (red/black), on number types (odd/even), on high numbers (19-36), or on low numbers (1-18).
A Brief History of Roulette
It is believed that the game of roulette first originated in 18th century France. A hundred years prior, however, French inventor Blaise Pascal had already created a rudimentary form of the game, which went on to serve as the foundation for the one we know today.
Pascal was seeking to develop a perpetual motion system; in other words, something that could maintain its movement without outside intervention.
As a result, he developed a gaming wheel which was a hybrid between his vision and elements of an older Italian game, Biribi, from the 1720s.
Roulette quickly became increasingly popular and has been played in the exact form we know today since 1796. Starting with the 19th century, the game spread towards Germany, then all over Europe and the US.
There are many superstitions and myths around the game of roulette. Some gambling enthusiasts actively avoid it, because the sum of all numbers from 0 to 36 is 666, the Biblical number of the Beast. Spooky!
How To Play Roulette – Basic Rules & Principles
Whether you play in person or online, the main rules and principles of roulette remain the same. During the game session, players gather around the table or use the chips and buttons on the screen to place their bets.
After all bets have been taken and the dealer signals the closing of the betting window, he will spin the roulette wheel in one direction, then throw a small white ball inside, which will spin in the opposite direction.
The roulette wheel will eventually stop, causing the white ball to fall into one of the numbered slots.
All players who placed a successful bet on the colour or number of the slot will receive a payout. The dealer will then remove all chips from the table and a new session can start.
Real-Money Roulette Bet Types
There are two main bet types that you can place at a real money roulette game:
- Inside bets (on the numbers of the roulette table)
- Outside bets (outside of the numbered sections of the roulette table)
There are a myriad of options to try in each category – for example, the most popular inside bets are straight/single, split, street and corner/square.
However, in general, outside bets tend to offer better odds for the player, as they cover large clusters of numbers – e.g. red/black, even/odd, high/low, column, and so on.
The Most Popular Types of Roulette
There are three main real-money roulette variations to keep in mind: European Roulette, French Roulette and American Roulette.
Although each variation follows the classic rules of the original game, the main differences pertain to the number of pockets on the roulette wheel, which impacts the house edge and the payout potential.
European Roulette is considered the standard version of roulette which you can try at most gambling establishments around the globe.
Online European Roulette for real money is preferred by most players because it offers the best house edge and thus, a greater chance to leave the game session with a substantial win.
The European roulette wheel has 37 pockets, with numbers from 1-36 marked in red and black, and a single “0” in a green pocket. This provides a house edge of only 2.70%.
French Roulette is the original version of the game and it shares a lot of similarities with European Roulette. However, what makes it different is the unique table layout and the fact that some bet types allow players to reduce the house edge significantly.
On most French roulette tables, you can find the La Partage rule offered by default – that means, if the ball lands on 0, all even-money bets are split into two and you get 50% of your original bet. This practically halves the house edge from 2.6% down to 1.35%!
For that reason, most online casinos rarely offer this real-money roulette version, because it is essentially too advantageous for players. This low house edge can only be rivalled by blackjack!
French roulette is also played on a standard European wheel. However, the numbers on the wheel are not displayed consecutively – instead, they follow a random order.
American Roulette differs slightly from its European counterpart, with its roulette wheel featuring 38 divisions in total.
There is a double 00 marked in green, instead of a single 0, alongside the usual numbers from 1-36 alternatively coloured in red and black.
American-style roulette is usually played with chips or cash that players give directly to the dealer. When multiple players gather at the same real-money roulette table, each will receive a different colour chip to avoid confusion.
The biggest downside to playing American roulette is the existence of the double 0, which raises the house edge to 5.26%.
Online Roulette vs Live Dealer Roulette – What Are the Differences?
Though both are fun to play, there are differences between both virtual and live roulette online, with each offering its own distinct features and benefits. Here's a quick run-down of what sets these two apart:
Online, virtual roulette is considered the standard virtual version of the game at most top casino sites.
It is played against the house or, in other words, the results are decided by computer software. The randomness of each wheel spin is ensured by RNG technology (Random Number Generator), as with online slots.
Online roulette is more suitable for beginners, as it doesn’t feature the same time restrictions from the live version – players are given an unlimited amount of time to place their wagers before spinning the wheel.
Another big difference is that online roulette can also be played for free, as opposed to the live dealer version at most casinos. Players can use demo credits or chips to learn the rules and betting options – no real losses or wins can occur, so it’s a valuable learning tool.
Live Dealer Roulette
On the other hand, live dealer roulette is played against a real-life croupier, meaning that players can experience an authentic atmosphere of a brick-and-mortar casino without even having to leave their home. The action is streamed in HD, with software providers ensuring a high level of quality and the various camera angles all throughout.
Each round is generally more fast-paced – you only have a few seconds to place your bets, and you can interact in real time with the dealer and the other players via the live chat function.
Lastly, live dealer roulette crushes language and cultural barriers –you can interact with croupiers speaking your native language, and the studio design will match your location (e.g. If you're playing from Turkey, India or other parts of Asia, you'll see an Asian-inspired background).
The Most Popular Modern Roulette Variants
Modern software providers and even casino operators themselves constantly upgrade the existing blueprints of roulette to keep things fresh and exciting.
The reason is simple – the more they can enhance the experience, the more new players will rush to the platform!
Today you can find modern roulette variants from prestigious live casino software providers, such as NetEnt or Evolution Gaming.
These versions offer superior visual quality, mobile optimisation, a unique lobby design, flexible stakes, realistic studio backdrops and even custom bets.
Some online casinos, such as LeoVegas or Paddy Power even offer exclusive real-money roulette tables to encourage customer loyalty.
The Best Real-Money Roulette Strategies
Throughout the years, all players from beginners to pros have tried to find that single, bulletproof roulette strategy. Some are more fit for high rollers, whilst others are very complex and hard to grasp for the average real money roulette player.
Do keep in mind that, at the end of the day, luck will always play a crucial role. However, there are certain tactics you can employ that could increase your chances of winning.
The most popular strategies casino players use today are the Martingale system (where you double the bet after every loss) and the Fibonacci system (you calculate each bet according to the Fibonacci numbers sequence).
How We Chose the Best Real Money Roulette Sites
When you first venture out into the world of online roulette, it’s important to choose a reliable platform with proper licensing and safety procedures.
The last thing you want is to worry about anything else other than that next lucky spin. As such, we’ve already looked up the key factors you need to consider to ensure the best gambling experience as a novice or a veteran:
Licensing & Security
Before you register on a real-money roulette site, your first mission is to check its legitimacy. Verify its licensing – who the issuer is, what licence type the casino holds, and over what period of time (e.g. 5 years, 10 years).
Generally, top roulette sites are licensed by European authorities such as the MGA (Malta Gaming Authority). Some can also be regulated by the Government of Curaçao (particularly cryptocoin casinos), the UK Gambling Commission (UKGC) or the Gibraltar Gaming Commission.
Before you begin playing any version of real-money roulette, take one moment to check which providers and studios supply the software on the site.
If you see names such as Microgaming or Pragmatic Play listed, that is always a good sign – these developers are leaders within the market, providing fair and verified software as well as decent RTP scores across all table games, including roulette.
It can be daunting when you first play real-money roulette, especially if you've only dabbled in the free version before.
As such, if you run into any technical issues pertaining to your favourite table game, such as interrupted streaming or errors, you need to know you can contact someone to resolve them fast.
The best real money roulette sites will assist you 24/7 through live chat, e-mail or a dedicated phone number, depending on your location. Assistance is paramount, particularly if an in-game error has affected your payout!
Real-Money Roulette Betting Ranges
When choosing a casino site to play roulette, it’s important to also consider your existing budget, experience level and betting style.
In general, stakes range from €0.1 – €10 000, which should cater to the needs of most gamblers.
However, if you’re a high roller, you may want to consider a platform that also provides dedicated variations for players like you, such as VIP Live Roulette or Salon Privé.
There’s nothing quite like that triumphant feeling of watching the wheel land on your lucky number! However, that initial excitement can quickly fade if your real-money roulette site of choice doesn’t grant you the payout in due time.
There are some online casinos that strive to clear withdrawals in under 24 hours, irrespective of the method chosen (e.g. debit card, bank transfer, e-wallets). Another good range to aim for is 1-3 banking days.
Real-Money Roulette Casino Bonuses
The best real-money roulette sites are always eager to offer customers top bonuses and promotions. They can help you keep the gaming session going for longer and even experience new games, if you want to switch things up.
Here are the most common real-money roulette bonuses you can come across in 2022, and why they’re worth a second glance:
- Cashback bonuses – These give you back a percentage of your net losses during a game session. Fun fact: Cashback promotions are often granted at live casino games in general, including real-money roulette! Percentages typically range from 5-25%. You can also receive cashback bonuses on a weekly or recurring basis, for example at King Billy Casino.
- Live casino bonuses – This is a broad term referring to bonuses that can only be used on live casino games, whether that’s live dealer blackjack, live dealer baccarat or real-money roulette. For instance, EnergyCasino has a live casino welcome offer separated from their first deposit bonus, consisting of 25% cashback up to €250.
- VIP bonuses – VIP bonuses are only reserved for players who deposit large sums of money at a real-money roulette site, or who reach a particular tier in the casino's VIP scheme (e.g. Platinum or Gold). So, if you’re in this category, you can expect to be rewarded with exclusive bonuses, gifts, vacations or even a personal account manager!
- Online loyalty bonuses – Many real-money roulette sites have loyalty programmes you can join, for example EnergyCasino and PokerStars. Your every stake on the platform will usually be rewarded with loyalty points that you can convert into prizes, including bonuses or free spins.
The Most Popular Real-Money Roulette Software Providers
When it comes to producing, hosting and streaming various live dealer games, such as real-money roulette, blackjack or poker, a robust infrastructure is needed.
Also, there are many costs involved, from studio maintenance to cameras, lighting and training dealers.
As such, there are significantly fewer software providers and studios dabbling in live dealer games, with the vast majority producing strictly online slots, online roulette or video slots instead.
The good news is that, because it’s such a niche category, the names that dominate it provide top-quality standards:
- Pragmatic Play – Pragmatic Play only recently started offering live dealer games, which are available on desktops, laptops, tablets, smartphones and even VR devices. The action is streamed in 4k, and 24/7 support is offered from their dedicated studios. Their most popular real-money roulette variations are Mega Roulette, Live Roulette, Speed Roulette and Auto Roulette.
- Ezugi– A lesser-known provider, Ezugi is worth keeping in mind, as they offer a next-generation live dealer platform. Owned by Evolution Gaming, the brand has studios in the most important European jurisdictions (e.g. Romania, Malta, Belgium). They offer 24/7 real-money roulette games, including original variations such as Italian Roulette, Diamond Roulette, and Speed Roulette.
- Vivo Gaming – Vivo Gaming is a software provider specialising in live casino games using HTML5 technology. They offer no less than 15 real-money roulette tables, with streaming available 24/7. Most of them host the classic European Roulette, but you can also try your luck at American-style Roulette if you like.
- Evolution Gaming – Evolution Gaming is widely regarded as the leader of the live casino market. Because of that, in many cases, they are the sole provider of live games at certain casinos. Some of their most exciting variations are Immersive Roulette, Double Ball Roulette, and Dual Play Roulette.
- Microgaming – Although primarily known for their online slots and jackpot slots, Microgaming is actually a solid provider of table games as well. They host a myriad of interesting online roulette and live dealer roulette variations, such as American Roulette Gold Series, Sapphire Roulette and Multiplayer Roulette.
Payment Methods at Real-Money Roulette Tables
Thanks to the development of the online casino industry, gone are the days of using only cash or chips to place your bets when you play roulette online for real money.
Nowadays, you can benefit from a wider range of deposit and withdrawal methods, making it much easier to find one that suits your specific needs:
Why Play Real-Money Roulette?
Are you still on the fence about trying out the world’s most loved table game for the very first time? We’re here to help you made a decision!
Here are the main real-money roulette pros and cons to consider, so you get the full picture:
- It’s a game of chance that anyone can play
- No special skills are required
- Demo play is often provided
- Fit for both low-stakes gamblers and high rollers
- Play against the house or a live dealer
- Mobile compatibility is ensured
- High RTP and low house edge
- Lots of strategies to boost your chances (e.g. Martingale)
- Some variations have high house edge (e.g. American Roulette)
- Geographical restrictions can apply
Mobile Optimisation at Real-Money Roulette Sites
According to public data by Market Research Future, the mobile gambling market is expected to reach a staggering $154.81 billion by the end of 2030.
Nowadays, we use our smartphones for everything, from looking up flights online to chatting, paying for goods and entertainment, including our favourite real-money roulette games!
That is why, before you choose a site to play real-money roulette, you should make sure the online casino in question provides accurate support for mobile users.
Usually, this is accomplished in two distinct ways:
- Site mobile optimisation – Most gambling sites will be optimised by default for mobile users. This means that you won't have to download additional software – all in-page elements will adapt to the size of your device, whether you use a smartphone or tablet. Such is the case of many EU and UK-based online casinos, like PokerStars, 888casino and LeoVegas.
- Real-money gambling apps – Certain operators go one step further to provide mobile users with additional functionalities (notifications, in-app bonuses etc.). As such, they develop their own gambling apps for Android/iOS (e.g. Unibet, PlayAmo and Mr Green). You can typically download them from the App Store or Google Play, or directly from the casino’s official page.
Real Money Roulette vs Free Roulette
Wondering which real-money roulette version is right for you?
Here’s what you need to know in super easy terms:
|Playing Roulette for Real Money||Playing Roulette for Free|
|Involves a minimum deposit||No deposit is needed|
|Requires registration and verification checks||No need to register an account|
|Fit for intermediary and advanced players||More suited for beginners|
|Access to multiple variations, including live dealer roulette||Limited options available – you can only play against the house|
Best Alternatives to Real-Money Roulette
If you’re tired of spinning the wheel, there are plenty of alternatives to real-money roulette that are worth checking out, such as:
- Baccarat – Also known as baccara, baccarat is a card game involving two participants: the Player and the Banker. Whoever gets a hand closest to 9 wins. Because it’s a game of luck that involves virtually no special skills, anyone can try it – popular variations include Punto Banco and Chemin de Fer.
- Blackjack – Preferred by players for its low house edge and easy rules, the aim of blackjack is to beat the dealer’s hand without the total value of your cards going over 21. To spice things up, you can also try Single Deck Blackjack or Spanish 21.
- Poker – As opposed to the other two games mentioned above, poker is mostly a game of skill. Therefore, it pays – literally – to learn a few new concepts, such as the hierarchy of hands. You can typically find many versions of poker if you play against the house (e.g. Casino Hold’Em); if you’ve got what it takes, you can play live dealer poker instead!
Real-Money Roulette – Summary
Real-money roulette is one of the most exciting and accessible casino games, whether you play in person or online. Outcomes rely entirely by luck, meaning that just about anyone can spin the wheel, place a bet and hope for the best!
It is also a super versatile table game – you can try it in a variety of formats: against the house or against a live dealer, and across plenty of different innovations and variations.
So, what are you waiting for? Try your hand at getting that winning spin at one of our recommended casinos above!
It’s a classic game of roulette played with real-money bets. At the start of the round, players place their bets in cash or chips and wait for the dealer to spin the wheel, then get paid accordingly.
Top roulette sites include the likes of LeoVegas, Mr Green and Caxino. For more recommendations, check out our table above, and don’t forget to verify any geographic restrictions before registering!
Yes, absolutely, but only if you sign up for a licensed online casino that offers real money roulette, verify your account and make a deposit.
If you play on a reputable platform with verified software, there is absolutely no reason to worry. Online roulette uses RNG (Random Number Generator) technology, the same algorithm that ensures the random character of slot machines.
Yes. Most real-money roulette variations available at online casinos today have been optimised for all mobile devices (smartphones, tablets with Android/iOS). Just make sure you have a good internet connection, particularly if you play the live version!
There are a few known strategies widely used by the pros that we highly recommend you look into, such as Reverse Martingale, Martingale, Labouchère and D'Alembert.
No, not necessarily. There are plenty of real-money roulette variations available with very low stakes, such as Auto Roulette from Evolution or Pearl Roulette from Playtech. Both can be played with a minimum bet of just 0.10p.
Yes. The vast majority of real-money roulette sites offer demo play, in some cases even without needing to register an account. You can fully use this to your advantage and learn the ropes without any risk!
- European Roulette Online – Complete Guide for 2022 European Roulette is the standard version of the classic table game and also happens to be its most popular variation. The game is primarily luck-based since players have no...
- The Best Roulette Strategy That Works in 2022 The most successful Roulette strategy is a combination of a good knowledge of the game, trusted betting systems and expert tips and tricks. In this in-depth guide, we’ll go...
- The Best Lightning Roulette Casinos of 2022 Lightning Roulette is a new online variant of the world-famous casino game roulette. Thanks to Evolution Gaming, players can now enjoy huge payouts with lucky numbers and multipliers. Here,...
Matthias is a freelance writer and digital content creator nomadically travelling the world and putting pen to paper at every free moment. A keen blackjack player, Matthias’ boundless casino knowledge comes from experience as a live online casino dealer, host and presenter.