The Best Online Casino Switzerland – Top Swiss Casino Sites
Besides having stunning mountain ranges and a range of amazing cheeses, Switzerland is home to a healthy population of casino enthusiasts. While foreign-based online casinos are officially banned in the country, there are other ways of finding the best online casino Switzerland has to offer!
- The Best Online Casinos Switzerland
- The Top Casinos in Switzerland for 2023
- Best Mobile Switzerland Online Casinos
- Laws and History of Switzerland Online Casinos
- How To Sign Up at the Best Online Casinos in Switzerland
- Safety and Security at Top Swiss Casinos
- How To Choose the Best Swiss Online Casinos
- Land-Based Casinos in Switzerland
- Summary for the Top Online Casinos in Switzerland
- Swiss Casino Sites FAQs
The Best Online Casinos Switzerland
- Available in multiple languages
- Comic book theme
- Top live casino section
The Top Casinos in Switzerland for 2023
In Switzerland, online casino players can access a variety of offshore platforms. While the Swiss may be known for their scenic home country, well defended borders, overflowing banks, and self-titled cheese, they do enjoy a spin or two at their favourite slot games. Let’s take a more detailed look below!
Bahigo lands in first place on our best Swiss online casino list. This is down to a combination of factors, not least of which is their impressively generous welcome package.
While a 100% matched bonus may fail to bewilder at first, you’ll be sure to reconsider it when you notice that it’s up to a maximum of 1,200CHF! Add to that 200 free spins, and you’ve got a winning combination on your hands!
It's important to note that somewhat misleadingly, the welcome offer is split into two matched deposits, each up to a maximum of 600CHF. While certainly less generous than a singular 1,200CHF match, we still think it’s good enough to place on top of our list. Take a look at the full terms and conditions for more information.
But that’s just the beginning! Apart from its excellent and well stocked regular casino section, you’ll also find pages for live casino, fulfilled by top developers such as Evolution and Pragmatic Play, as well as a burgeoning sports betting section complete with virtual sports options.
Licensing is down to the Isle of Man Gambling Supervision Commission, which, while unfortunately not as highly regarded as the United Kingdom Gambling Commission or the Malta Gaming Authority, still holds significant water among casino enthusiasts.
- Generous welcome offer
- All-in-one casino & sportsbook
- Dedicated to Swiss players
- Welcome offer split in two deposits
- Isle of Man licensing is not top-of-class
It’s all in the name for ExciteWin Casino! Apart from German language support and a dedicated site for its Swiss players, ExciteWin offers an excellent welcome bonus of a 100% match up to CHF550, alongside a generous 200 free spins.
The offer comes with a minimum deposit limit of CHF22 alongside a 35x wagering requirement. We think these limitations are fair, but would still recommend that you read the full terms and conditions for more information.
Apart from its fantastic welcome bonus, ExciteWin offers players the opportunity to take part in exciting tournaments, not to mention impressive weekly challenges that can earn you extra coins!
The site is excellently laid out with dedicated sections for more difficult to find game genres, such as casino arcade games. There are, of course, also sections for classic slots, live casino, and jackpot games. ExciteWin is licensed by Antillephone N.V. in Curaçao, under their parent company Rabidi N.V.
- Excellently designed website
- Dedicated version for Swiss players
- Generous welcome offer
- No phone support
This comic-book-themed casino is more than just looks! Lucky Elektra starts giving back the moment you sign up with a 15% cashback welcome offer up to CHF220. Of course, there are some terms and conditions which we think you should read in full, such as the minimum deposit of CHF22, and the ineligibility of NETELLER and Skrill deposits.
Apart from that, Lucky Elektra also offers a more standard 100% match up to CHF550 along with 200 free spins to its players. The full terms and conditions for that offer include limitations such as a 35x wagering requirement.
This site has everything from the classic slots and live casino games to sports betting and virtual games! That means that whatever kind of player you may be, you’ll find a match for your preferences with Lucky Elektra.
Just like many top Switzerland online casinos, Lucky Elektra is licensed in Curaçao under the Antillephone N.V. master licence. While this isn’t as reputable as a licence from, say the United Kingdom Gambling Commission or the Malta Gaming Authority, we still think it’s an adequate seal of approval for this casino’s trustworthiness.
- All-in-one casino & sportsbook
- Cool theme throughout the site
- Dedicated version of the site for Swiss players
- Skrill & NETELLER deposits not allowed for welcome bonus
Best Mobile Switzerland Online Casinos
In recent years, online casinos have shifted towards mobile platforms due to changing player habits. Smartphones are now the name of the game, which means you can’t have a successful and fully fledged online casino website without it supporting mobile devices! While most casinos we surveyed for our Swiss players lack a mobile app, we discovered three that provide a stellar mobile experience regardless.
Playzilla tops our list simply because of its extremely mobile-friendly design, which scales perfectly to any device you might be using it on. Apart from its appearances and smartphone functionality, the site also offers an extremely varied blend of casino and sportsbook features, allowing any kind of player to find exactly what they’re looking for.
The welcome bonus is a generous 200% match up to CHF200, with an added prize of 500 free spins on top. The minimum deposit on this offer is an extremely reasonable CHF10, which means whether you’re a high roller or a more casual player, this offer should fit your needs. Read the full terms and conditions for all the details on this promotion.
This site even has a dedicated version of the website in German for its German and Swiss players, and is operated by Rabidi NV while being licensed in Curaçao. While there’s no over-the-phone support, we were happy to see that email and live chat support are available 24/7!
- Incredibly mobile-friendly design
- 24/7 support options
- Dedicated Swiss version of the site
- No phone support
- Limited deposit options
When checking out Mr Bit’s mobile version of its excellent online casino, we were impressed by the thought and care that went into making it mobile-friendly. Their site’s design follows cues from some of the most popular mobile apps, such as Instagram, having clickable round icons on top which look almost identical to the stories feature on the popular app.
Tapping on one of these icons will bring up the offer in question in a stories format – something we haven’t seen replicated anywhere else!
As we describe in our Mr. Bit casino review, the welcome bonus is a somewhat standard but nonetheless lucrative 100% match up to €500, along with an additional 500 free spins on Jungle Jim and the Lost Sphinx. Among the full terms and conditions, you’ll find a €10 minimum deposit limit along with a very fair 27x wagering requirement.
At this MGA-licensed casino, you’ll find an excellent mix of slot games, live casino games, and game shows, along with a varied sprinkling of other titles. Impressively, support is also available on email, over the phone, and through live chat!
- Impressively well-optimised for mobile
- Excellent support options
- Limited deposit options
- No dedicated site for Swiss players
Katsubet is our third and final pick for the top mobile online casinos for Swiss players, just because it offers something a little different to our other choices, while still being just as responsive on smartphones.
And what’s so different? How about a cryptocurrency-centred experience starting with a welcome packaged of 5 Bitcoin along with 100 free spins?
Well, the first deposit in this package will benefit from a 100% bonus up to 1.5 Bitcoin, although we’d recommend reading the full terms and conditions for all information on any limitations.
The site also rewards its return mobile players by offering an excellent VIP section consisting of eight Samurai-themed levels through which you can ascend up the ranks! The casino is owned by powerhouse Dama N.V. and is licensed in Curaçao with multiple certifications and awards from independent third parties.
- Cryptocurrency-enabled mobile casino
- Excellent variety of games
- Large choice of depositing options
- Limited support options
- Bonus terms could be clearer
Laws and History of Switzerland Online Casinos
In many countries, the evolution and acceptance of gambling are often underpinned by two main principles:
- A regularised and legal market means a safer and more standardised casino experience for players.
- A regularised market must pay earnings taxes toward the state, becoming a source of income for the nation.
Up until 2018, there were no casinos online in Switzerland, with native players heading to overseas sites instead. Once the Swiss government noticed the benefits in the regularisation of such a large market, the switch happened swiftly!
Keep in mind that gambling laws apply only to the casinos themselves, and not players. Today, you’ll find that all legalised online gambling in Switzerland take place on legit, designated websites. Most foreign-based casino sites have their ISPs blocked.
History of Gambling & Online Casinos in Switzerland
Though we can find traces of gambling activities going back to ancient Roman times, gambling has always been forbidden in Switzerland. However, a few cantons have enjoyed more autonomy. For example, the Casino Barriere de Montreaux was able to open in 1881 on the shoreline of Lake Geneva.
A more modern approach towards gambling began in the 1920s. Below, you’ll find a concise history of gambling legislation in the country.
- 1923: The Lotteries and Commercial Betting Act was passed. Cantons now had the authority to organise lotteries for the public good.
- 1929: Thanks to the Gambling House Act, casinos could provide low-stakes games for tourists.
- 1993: Faced with a financial crisis bought about by an aging population, the Swiss government passed a referendum allowing casinos to generate tax revenue.
- 1998: The Federal Act on Games of Chance and Casinos was passed. The Swiss Gaming Board was created, whilst at the same time, all online casino gambling was prohibited. In addition, casinos had to implement plans to deal with the relatively new issue of problem gambling.
- 2000: Unlimited skates gambling got the red light. In addition, all gambling activities were divided up into games of skill and games of chance. Only the latter were permitted in Swiss casinos.
- 2006: Thanks to the suggestions of the cantonal gaming authorities, Comlot was created. This is a Federal organisation tasked with overseeing both intercantonal gambling activities and lotteries. Today the organisation is called Gespa.
- 2007: According to the Swiss Federal Gaming Board (ESBK), poker was declared a game of skill. As a result, it could be played out of the confines of a casino. However, this was to be repealed in 2010.
- 2018: The Federal Act on Money Games was approved by Swiss voters. As a result, land-based casinos now had the right to open. The law, which came into effect in January 2019, also mandated the blocking of all foreign casino websites, with a total of 88 blacklisted.
- 2022: The Swiss Federal Court upheld a ban on foreign casinos.
Swiss Online Casino: Laws & Regulations
Though individual Swiss cantons can make their own gambling laws, this only applies to land-based casinos. All online casino activities fall under the oversight of the Swiss Federal Gaming Board, who are also responsible for creating a blacklist of foreign online gambling websites.
Gespa is the Swiss Gambling Supervisory Authority, having rebranded in 2021 from its previous name Comlot.
SwissLos and Loterie Romande are two companies licensed to offer a range of betting activities including horse racing and lotteries. The former deals with German-speaking cantons, and the latter with French-speaking ones.
The 2019 Gaming Act takes a dim view of domestic unlicensed online casinos, with such operators liable to receive a custodial sentence of up to three years. However, the law is only concerned with casinos, not with the players, meaning it’s not illegal to play at international online casinos. Take note, however, that any foreign winnings will need to be declared and will be subject to income tax.
According to the latest statistics, in 2020, a total of 72,322 people were banned from playing at Swiss casinos, both online and in brick-and-mortar establishments. In part, this is largely thanks to a law that mandates a ban for any player who tries to bet more than their monthly income.
Though implementing tight controls for problem gamblers is essential, we have seen a large rise in Swiss players who are now gambling at offshore online casinos. An interesting aside is that even though Swiss ISPs are legally obliged to comply with the governmental blacklist, there is no consequence for those choosing not to do so. However, those that do will receive a number of financial incentives.
The legal age for gambling in Switzerland is 18+, except for Graubünden, where it is 21+.
How To Sign Up at the Best Online Casinos in Switzerland
All the top Switzerland casinos offer a simple sign-up process, making it easy for you to register and get started.
Keep in mind that many online casinos will require you to complete a verification process, which usually involves submitting proofs of address and identity. These documents could be a copy of your driving licence or passport for identity verification, and a recent utility bill or bank statement to validate your place of residence.
Top Swiss casino sites ensure safe transactions for both deposits and withdrawals, meaning that you can play with peace of mind, knowing that your financial details are secure and protected.
Safety and Security at Top Swiss Casinos
As part of their licensing requirements, all the best online casinos in Switzerland utilise the best safety and security features available. As an online gambler, we suggest that you consider the following points before registering with an operator:
- Check that the casino possesses a licence issued by a reputable licensing authority, such as the Swiss Federal Gaming Board, the UK Gambling Commission or the Malta Gaming Authority.
- Ensure the site has implemented Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption technology on its platform, and check their Transport Layer Security (TLS) certificates are up to date. This ensures that both your personal and banking details are kept away from prying eyes and any malicious third parties.
- Make sure the website prohibits minors from betting.
- Look for the names of third-party auditors on the front page, such as GLI, iTech Labs, and eCOGRA. These independent organisations are tasked with testing that the game’s software is fair and that the games themselves are truly random.
- Only play on sites that feature games from prominent software providers like Playtech, Microgaming, Evolution Gaming, Play'n GO, Red Tiger Gaming, and NetEnt, to name just a few.
- Take time to read through the terms and conditions to ensure there are no surprises hidden within the small print. This is especially important when it comes to any requirements for withdrawals.
- As mentioned earlier, most casino sites will require you to complete a verification process.
- Finally, look at the procedures the website has implemented to help problem gamblers.
How To Choose the Best Swiss Online Casinos
While choosing an online licensed and legal casino in Switzerland will depend on your own preferences, there are a few aspects that should remain universal across all types of players. We've listed these below:
Licensing & Security
Only choose casinos that are fully licensed by reputable licensing authorities. For Swiss casino sites, this means the Swiss Federal Gaming Board.
Bonuses & Offers
Don’t be taken in by the first welcome offer you come across. In fact, before accepting any online casino bonus, read through the attached terms and conditions to ensure that the promotion is actually worth the time and effort.
Terms & Conditions
Apart from those that come with bonuses and special promotions, we strongly suggest you make the effort to read the casino's general terms and conditions as well. At the end of the day, this will only serve to benefit you and ensures that you understand what the operator expects from your end.
A huge variety of real-money casino games awaits Swiss players at any of our recommended casinos. Even better, many will be available in demo mode, allowing you to play for free before going ahead with the real thing.
Below is what you can expect to find from top developers at the best online casinos in Switzerland.
Payment Options for Deposits and Withdrawals
All the best Swiss online casinos will feature a wide range of the most convenient payment methods. A good place to start is to go to the “Cashier” section and see which options are accepted. In the table below, we’ve listed some of the most common deposit and withdrawal methods, including e-wallets, cryptocurrencies, and credit cards.
|Payment Option||Type||Duration||Deposit & Withdrawal|
|Bank Transfer||Wire transfer||2-5 Working days||Yes|
|Visa & Mastercard||Bank transfer||Instant||Yes|
|Klarna||Instant bank transfer||Instant||Deposit only|
Language & Support Options
All Swiss-facing online casinos will have support staff fluent in English, French, German, and Italian as a matter of course. They can be contacted via live chat, email, and phone, and are usually available 24/7. Many sites will also feature a detailed FAQ section to address the most common issues that crop up.
Land-Based Casinos in Switzerland
Land-based casinos in Switzerland fall under two sets of registration: Federal and Cantonal law. In addition, there are two types of licenses for brick-and-mortar casinos:
- Class A Licence: The Grand Casino Licence allows the casino to offer 14 different high-stakes table games. Real-money slots can feature progressive jackpots and unlimited winnings.
- Class B Licence: This is really for spas and resorts. Tables are limited to only three per premises, with betting limits not exceeding CHF 25. Only three kinds of table games are permissible, with the maximum jackpot ceiling amounting to CHF 25,000.
Presently there are a total of 21 land-based licences, split 8 to 13 between A and B licences respectively. As you can imagine, the majority of Casino A licences are to be found in the big cities, as part of their stipulations requires them to be situated within a conurbation of at least 1 million people. Earlier this year, the Federal Council of Switzerland announced a tender for two new Class A casino licences.
Summary for the Top Online Casinos in Switzerland
On paper, it appears that since 2019, Swiss players have been able to play at online casinos available in the country, providing that the casino in question pays its taxes in Switzerland.
Altough Swiss players using offshore casinos face no legal repercussions, due to strict local policies, many Swiss citizens gamble on foreign sites. In any choice, you've got plenty of choice!
Swiss Casino Sites FAQs
Yes, you are, though you’ll need to sign up for a Swiss-licensed online casino. All foreign websites are technically illegal, though there’s no punishment for accessing them.
Have a look through our list in the table at the beginning of this article. All casinos there offer a huge variety of games, as well as some very generous bonuses and promotions.
Absolutely! Every best online casino Switzerland is regulated and licensed by the Swiss Federal Gaming Board, which ensures that both the casinos and their customers are protected.
Much will depend on your withdrawal method. For example, you can expect to wait between 24 hours to three days for credit card withdrawals. Most cryptocurrencies are processed instantly, while e-wallets such as NETELLER will allow access to your winnings within 24 hours. We also suggest that you read the site's terms and conditions to see any requirements that may need to be satisfied in order to cash out.
Yes, they do! Check out our list of recommendations for the best bonuses and promotions available at the best online casinos in Switzerland.
That’s really up to you – virtually all modern payment platforms, including credit cards, cryptocurrencies, and e-wallets, are more or less instant when it comes to depositing funds into your casino account.
Using your mobile phone to gamble gives you the convenience to be able to play casino games anywhere and at any time. All our recommended casinos have their platforms fully optimised for smaller screens, along with intuitive controls designed for your fingers.
Though all Swiss casinos are happy to see Swiss Francs, they are also delighted to accept a huge number of currencies. Take note that there may be a conversion commission of between 1% to 3% to pay if you’re converting foreign currency to CHF.
Of course! Furthermore, providing your gains come from licensed Swiss online casinos, then there are no taxes to pay either. For large-scale games like lotteries such as the Swiss Lotto, EuroMillions, Loterie Romande, or SwissLot, only the first CHF 1 Million are tax-free.
Yes, they do. Typically, a casino can grant between 50 and 250 free spins to all new players as part of their welcome bonus. There are also a whole load of promotions and incentives that involve receiving free spins once you create a new account.