The Goonies Slot Review + Legal & Licenced Casino List for 2023
The Goonies Details
|Number of ways||20|
|Stake Range||0.10 – 200|
The Goonies slot is an extravagant spinning bonanza, starring the original child-actor crew that includes fun gameplay features in the form of a bonus round for each character. Join us as we take it for a spin!
- The Top 10 The Goonies Casinos
- The Goonies Slot Overview
- The Goonies Slot Features
- The Goonies RTP & Volatility
- Symbols & Paytable
- Theme, Graphics, Soundtrack, & User Experience
- Stakes & Betting Range
- The Goonies Mobile Play
- The Goonies Return Slot
- The Goonies Slot – Pros & Cons
- If You Like This Game, You’ll Also Like…
- Our The Goonies Slot Verdict
The Top 10 The Goonies Casinos
The Goonies Slot Overview
While most movie-themed slots only play the nostalgia card, Blueprint Gaming’s The Goonies slot is entirely different. It has incorporated the movie’s plot elements perfectly into the gameplay, creating an immersive and unique experience.
The specs will tell you that this is a slot that brings more to the table than just humour: it has five reels, three rows, and 20 paylines. It also comes with an RTP of 96% and medium-to-high variance.
While it is no Megaways™ slot with cascading wins or any such bonus features, this slot is based on a familiar math model that can still pay good prizes. The five bonus rounds are proof of that: with all the modifiers unlocked and a stroke of luck, the mischievous gang can deliver prizes worth 10,000x your bet.
If that’s not One-Eyed Willy’s Treasure, we don’t know what is.
The Goonies Slot Features
We’ve finally arrived at the most fun part of any slot review – the features, and the Goonies slot is full to the brim with specials, which we’ll detail for your convenience.
Before we go on, we just have to say that Blueprint Gaming has done a great homage to Spielberg’s hit; the slot is easy to play and has audio-visual cues that tug at our nostalgia strings more than we care to admit.
Meanwhile, the base game is straightforward – save for a few nice features that can boost your wins and bring you a step closer to the bonuses.
Random Base Game Modifiers
There are six modifiers that can trigger randomly during The Goonies slot’s base game. Each one is named after a character from the film, and you get to choose one blindly from among three keys.
The six modifiers are:
- Sloth’s Win Spin – guarantees a big win on the next spin;
- Mikey’s Hidden Treasure – turns reels fully wild;
- Chunk’s Truffle Shuffle – adds random wilds to the grid;
- Mouth’s Lucky Coins – turns the gold coins to a randomly chosen symbol;
- Data’s Colossal Symbols – turns three adjacent reels to colossal reels;
- One-Eyed Willy’s Bonus Boost – adds extra scatters that might trigger the free spins round.
On top of that, the luckiest players may also get two additional randomly triggered features on losing spins in the base game. This means they can turn a loss into a win, which is definitely a useful feature.
Plus, the modifiers are accompanied by wild animations and scenes you’ll recognise from the movies.
As long as you land the modifiers often – which is sadly down to luck – the slot can pay decent returns in the base game. During our playthrough, we landed a few and they paid solid returns, but not as much as we'd hoped.
The free spins round in this video slot can be accessed or triggered in one of two ways:
- You can enter it via the One-Eyed Willy’s Bonus Boost feature; or
- By landing three Scatters in the base game.
Regardless, the free spins bonus is pretty fun to play considering it comes with a wheel of fortune in the shape of a pirate ship’s wheel that can award you:
- One-Eyed Willy’s Treasure – cash values on a wheel of fortune spin and stop on a multiplier.
- Fratelli’s Hideout – pick from three keys to win cash prizes, end the feature, or trigger another bonus.
- Skeleton Organ – pick organ keys to get a character from the movie. Three keys grant a new feature, and you might land upgraded multipliers.
- Goonies Go Wild Free Spins – turns a top symbol into a wild, triggers more free spins, or unleash another feature.
- Super Sloth Free Spins – triggers the Fratelli family reel setup. A Super Sloth Wild turns a Fratelli symbol into a high-paying symbol. You can win more free games, end the feature, or trigger another bonus.
- Inferno Free Spins – the inferno may set one to three reels fully ablaze and wild. Just like with the other features, you might end the feature, win more spins, or spin the wheel again.
The Goonies RTP & Volatility
The Goonies slot RTP is set at a flat 96%, which is the industry average for highly-volatile slots. This means you can expect fairly frequent returns than highly volatile slots, but they will be smaller in size.
Granted, this one’s volatility is medium-to-high, but still, you need to keep your bankroll in check when playing it. If you’re not careful and max out your bets from the get-go, your bankroll may bleed faster than you can say, ‘Never Say Die’.
We recommend playing The Goonies free play mode or starting with small bets and building your bankroll up before risking more money.
Symbols & Paytable
Like many other slots, The Goonies kicks off its paytable with four card suit symbols, namely the J, Q, K, and A. These are the lowest-paying symbols, paying between 0.2x for three Js or Qs all the way up to 5x for 5 As.
But as a movie-themed branded slot, there are also plenty of themed symbols, namely the Scales, the Skeleton, the Ship, the Treasure Chest, and the Jolly Rodger, which pay between 10x and 25x for six of a kind.
Finally, the game has two special symbols:
- The Wild, characterised by the Medallion, replaces all other symbols bar the Scatter, and pays 0.1x, 2x, 5x, and x25 for two, three, four, or five of a kind.
- The Scatter is the Skeleton Pirate. This is the symbol you’ll need to land the bonus rounds.
Theme, Graphics, Soundtrack, & User Experience
Remember 1985’s unlikely movie hit The Goonies by the late and great Richard Donner in collaboration with Steven Spielberg? The adventure comedy film reinvented the genre and became a pop-culture phenomenon… so much so, that it’s made its way to the online slot industry thanks to Blueprint Gaming.
This game’s visuals are as great as those of all other slots released by Blueprint so far. In fact, even though it’s already a few years old, it doesn’t show any signs of aging. The animations are crisp too, and feel like they’ve been taken straight out of the action sequences in the film.
All this is accompanied by great audio and sounds effects, including the famous Never Say Die line when you fire up the slot.
Apart from looking and sounding great, the slot is also super easy to play, with the paytable in The Goonies online slot being pretty straightforward and easy to access.
Stakes & Betting Range
The Goonies is a medium to highly volatile slot, which means you can expect larger wins on an infrequent basis. In other words, we wouldn’t max out our bets as it can quickly burn through our bankroll.
The Goonies Mobile Play
You can easily play The Goonies slot game on your Android or iOS mobile phone as it was developed using HTML5, so it runs perfectly via mobile browsers.
You also don’t need to download any apps to play it, although a casino app would make things buttery smooth as these tend to have superior layouts and design.
During our The Goonies slot review, the game performed well on every device we tried it on. The slot’s layout adapts to any screen size and reflects the interface you get on desktop browsers. It’s even easier to play via touchscreens, and, like all mobile slots, you can spin it in portrait and landscape mode.
The Goonies Return Slot
The success of the first The Goonies slot led Blueprint Gaming to release a sequel.
Unlike the movie, the slot sequel actually moved forward, this time with new features alongside familiar tropes and a much higher winning potential. Titled The Goonies Return, it sees the gang reunite in a new adventure with even more pirate gold to dig up – up to 50,000x your bet to be exact!
Moreover, the developers have retained the familiar look, although in a more cartoonish way, and added new visual elements that make it look more modern. But don’t worry, as many of the features you’ve grown to love are still there. These include the three Scatters that trigger the One-Eyed Willy Bonus, where you spin a wheel to trigger one of six bonuses.
The good thing is that fans of the original won’t have a hard time playing the sequel. it plays pretty similarly to the first one, and the specs are more or less the same. The volatility is medium this time, with the RTP set at 96%. Once again, you’ll be playing across 20 fixed paylines.
We have to say that it was fun to play a sequel, especially as a movie sequel to The Goonies never materialised.
The Goonies Slot – Pros & Cons
- Great branded slot
- Numerous base game modifiers
- Several different bonus modifiers
- The RTP could be higher
- The winning potential could be higher
If You Like This Game, You’ll Also Like…
If you’re into pirate-themed slots, there are quite a few slots to pick from. We recommend:
- Wild Buccaneers Megaways™ by Four Leaf Gaming
- Treasure Island by Quickspin
- Wild Seas by ELK Studios
- Pirates Charm by Quickspin
Our The Goonies Slot Verdict
The Goonies slot is a worthy addition to the movie’s lore, which is still going strong after all these years. In fact, while we didn’t get the sequel we wanted and the franchise deserved, at least the fans can enjoy an online slots game based on the cult hit.
Indeed, this is a strong showing by Blueprint Gaming, with fun and rewarding features that can deliver a pirate’s treasure straight into your hands. With that being said, the random modifiers in the base game and the different bonuses are more than enough for us to highly recommend it.
Blueprint Gaming has set the RTP for this slot at 96%, which is common for medium or high volatility slots.
Absolutely. The slot was developed on the HTML5 platform, so you can play it from a mobile browser on Android and iOS devices with no download required.