Old Gold Miner Megaways™ Review
Old Gold Miner Megaways™ Details
|Software provider||Pragmatic Play|
|Number of ways||Up To 200,704|
If you’re not afraid of the dark, enclosed spaces, and getting your hands dirty searching for gold, then you’ll be a fan of Pragmatic Play’s Old Gold Miner Megaways™. With a mole and a dog as your trusted sidekicks, you can unearth up to 12 free spins, doubled Wild wins, and up to 200,704 paylines!
- What Is Old Gold Miner Megaways™?
- Best Online Casinos to Play Old Gold Miner Megaways™ Real Money
- Old Gold Miner Megaways™ Key Facts
- The Top Old Gold Miner Megaways™ Casinos
- Old Gold Miner Megaways™ Top Features
- Paytable & Special Symbols
- Old Gold Miner Megaways™ – Pros & Cons
- Alternatives to Old Gold Miner Megaways™
- Old Gold Miner Megaways™ Slot Verdict
- Other Popular Megaways™ Slots
- Old Gold Miner Megaways™ FAQs
What Is Old Gold Miner Megaways™?
Old Gold Miner Megaways™ is a video slot launched on 8 November 2022. It tackles a gold-mining theme, which is an absolute favourite for Pragmatic Play, who have developed other popular slot games like it, such as Gold Rush, Bomb Bonanza, and loosely in Wild West Gold Megaways™.
The setting we’re invited to is rather familiar for this genre – an underground mine, where a friendly-looking, old prospector digs for gold, alongside his animal companions: a dog and a mole. The trio is equipped with headlamps, carts, shovels, and pickaxes to achieve their mission. As an added visual perk, they are depicted in the classic comic book format we’re accustomed to seeing in Pragmatic Play games!
Old Gold Miner Megaways™ employs the Megaways™ engine, after a successful licensing deal with Big Time Gaming, which has been in effect since 2020. As a result, its layout consists of six main reels holding two to seven symbols each, plus bonus horizontal reel above with four extra icons. Together, these give the game up to 200,704 ways to win.
Although the payline configuration is more generous when compared to many other titles in our Megaways™ slots list, which usually feature 117,649 at most, the level of volatility here is very high. In fact, it received 5/5 lightning bolts on the developer’s unique system of classifying variance. That means players can expect some sizeable wins over the long run, but they also need to watch out for the inherent risk and have adequate budget management.
We’re also pleased to see a high roller-friendly betting range – stakes start at only £/€/$0.20 and go all the way up to £/€/$125 per spin. The maximum win is capped at 5,000x your stake. However, the RTP is really good – 96.56%, with slight increases if you activate the two paid features.
In terms of extras, Old Gold Miner Megaways™ displays a few representative ones for Pragmatic Play, such as tumbles in the base game, free spins with multipliers (that can be triggered, purchased or won), and an Ante Bet, which offers better odds to hit the bonus.
So, let’s gear up, shed some light from our headlamps, and uncover these subterranean riches in our Old Gold Miner Megaways™ slot review!
Best Online Casinos to Play Old Gold Miner Megaways™ Real Money
- Pragmatic Play slots available
- Tonnes of additional games to play
- All in one sportsbook and casino
Old Gold Miner Megaways™ Key Facts
- Bets: £/€/$0.2 – £/€/$125
- Ways of winning: 200,704
- Theme: Gold Mining
- Symbols: 10, J, Q, K, A card suit symbols + Tools, Vintage Oil Lamp, Cart Full of Gold, Dog, Mole
- Wild: Prospector Man
- Scatter: Gold Nugget
- Free Spins: Yes
- Bonus Games: Yes
- Devices: Desktop, tablet, smartphone
The Top Old Gold Miner Megaways™ Casinos
Unfortunately, the prospector man has not reached gambling sites yet! Don’t worry, though, it’s the next planned stop for the gold cart, so as soon as the game is launched, we’ll return with a list of recommended casinos to play at!
Old Gold Miner Megaways™ Top Features
For this descent into the underground caves, Pragmatic Play prepared an assortment of four features in total – in fact, if you’re used to Madame Destiny Megaways™, then you already have a good idea of what to expect.
But, let’s get back to the game at hand.
Three of these features can be seen in action or activated right from the base game, namely the Ante Bet, the tumbles, and the buy pass (if the feature is not prohibited in your region).
For an entry into the Free Spins bonus round, you’ll have to match a set of Scatters if you want to trigger it organically. But more on that below!
In conjunction with the mining theme, the Tumble feature becomes even more impressive visually – symbols explode like they’ve been hit with dynamite, leaving room for rivers of gold to flow through!
The tumble or Cascading Reels feature sets off after every winning combination. The lucky symbols involved will fall to the bottom of the screen and are replaced by new ones of the same size.
This feature stays active for as long as you keep matching winning combinations. At the end, the sum of all wins gets paid and added to your balance. This is certainly one of the best ways to get consecutive payouts with a single spin…if Lady Luck is on your side!
To trigger the Free Spins feature, you’ll need to land at least three Scatter symbols – which are the gold nugget symbols – in any position on the reels.
In addition, set numbers of Scatters also pay fixed cash prizes, as such:
- Three scatter symbols – 5x your total stake
- Four scatter symbols – 10x your total stake
- Five scatter symbols – 20x your total stake
- Six scatter symbols – 100x your total stake
Before the bonus round commences, players will be presented with a Wheel of Fortune, structured in two segments: one displays the multiplier values, and one displays the number of free spins.
When you spin, you’ll trigger a random combination of the two. Over the course of the feature, players can obtain a maximum of 12 free spins and a multiplier value of up to 25x.
However, do keep in mind that the listed multiplier only applies to the total win of every free spin. If a Wild symbol is involved in a win, the payout will be multiplied by 2x.
The Free Spins bonus round can also be re-triggered if three or more Scatter symbols land again. Every re-trigger will offer you another spin of the wheel, and there are no limits imposed to the number of re-triggers.
The Ante Bet feature will be listed on the left side of the slot window, and clicking on the arrow will activate it. What it does, essentially, is increase your current bet by 25%. With this feature active, you double your chances of triggering free spins, as more Scatters will land on the reels.
What’s more, the RTP of the game will increase to 96.67%.
The Bonus Buy feature will only be present in the slot window if it’s legal in your region (for example, it’s prohibited to UK-based players, but available in other European jurisdictions).
Paying 100x your bet will trigger the bonus instantly – between three and six Scatters will appear on the next spin. Once again, you’ll benefit from a slightly higher RTP if you purchase the bonus: 96.67%.
Remember that the Ante Bet and Bonus Buy features can only function independently – if you switch one on, the other will be disabled.
Paytable & Special Symbols
This brand-new slot has a selection of generic and thematic symbols specific to gold mining, such as shovels, pickaxes, carts, and lamps, plus two special symbols: a wild and a scatter.
The paytable is clear and visual, so it’s easy to pinpoint the most valuable combos:
- Low-value symbols – card suits 10, J, Q, K and A, pay between 1x and 1.25x your stake for six of a kind
- Tools – pay 1.25x your stake for six of a kind
- Lamp – pays 1.5x your stake for six of a kind
- Cart full of gold – pays 2x your stake for six of a kind
- Dog – pays 3.75x your stake for six of a kind
- Mole – premium symbol, pays 20x your stake for six of a kind
- Gold nugget – Scatter symbol; 3+ of which trigger free spins and reward a cash prize
- Prospector man – Wild symbol, which substitutes all regular icons aside from the scatter. These land anywhere aside from reel 1,, and adds a 2x multiplier to wins registered in the base game and free spins
Old Gold Miner Megaways™ – Pros & Cons
Should we venture into the dark subterranean world or stick to the surface wins, instead? Let’s see if this slot game is truly a gold mine:
- Multiple ways of triggering the bonus
- Up to 25x win multiplier available
- Excellent visual presentation & design
- Theme is not very original
- Plays like a copy of Madame Destiny Megaways™
Alternatives to Old Gold Miner Megaways™
Here are our top Megaways™ alternatives if you’re craving something similar:
- Black Gold Megaways™ – We highly recommend this underrated Stakelogic gem as it features the same comic book-style format of the symbols. This time around, you’re encouraged to dig for black gold or oil. Rewards include 5-reel modifiers, cascading reels and free spins. If you like it, explore the sequel, too – Black Gold 2 Megaways™.
- Diamond Mine Extra Gold Megaways™ – Released by Blueprint Gaming, this slot has a diamond-mining theme mixed with American Frontier/Wild West elements, like cacti and desert landscapes. It’s jam-packed with almost identical features to our game, such as feature buy, Golden Bet, and free spins with multipliers.
- Gold Digger Megaways™ – We’re finishing up our list with a slot game from iSoftBet: here, the gold- mining theme is accompanied by a whopping nine bonus features in total, which include modifiers, reactions, respins, and jackpot prizes.
Old Gold Miner Megaways™ Slot Verdict
Old Gold Miner Megaways™ invites us to yet another journey to the mining shaft; this time boosted by various treasures along the way, such as cascading symbols, free spins that can be re-triggered, and two paid options to unlock the bonus or make it easier to do so.
Unfortunately, as popular as the gold mining theme is, it’s also very overused – this launch from Pragmatic Play is good as a standalone title, but becomes unimpressive when we realise just how similar it is to Madame Destiny Megaways™.
All in all, we would still recommend it if you’re a die-hard fan of the theme and the extras – the 25x max multiplier is not bad at all, so you may leave the session with a cart full of gold!
Other Popular Megaways™ Slots
- Read also: Legend of Heroes Megaways™
- Read also: Muertos Multiplier Megaways™
- Read also: Aztec Wilds Megaways™
- Read also: 300 Shields Mighty Ways
- Read also: The Great Pigsby Megaways™
- Read also: Eastern Emeralds Megaways™
- Read also: Hot Chilliways
- Read also: Cluedo Mighty Ways
Old Gold Miner Megaways™ FAQs
The estimated RTP score is of 96.56%. If you activate the Bonus Buy or the Ante Bet features, you’ll enjoy an upgraded RTP of 96.67%. Both RTP models are above average for Megaways™ slots, and make our list of best Megaways™ RTP slots.
The free spins can be re-triggered to infinity if you keep landing the required number of Scatters. However, the multiplier value during free spins is capped at 25x maximum.
The maximum win here is of 5,000x. Depending on your stakes, potential payouts range from £/€/$1,000 – £/€/$625,000.
Totally! In fact, you can play it just above.